Scttish Scrappies??

Found a Minor in a scrapyard? Let us all know about it and exactly where it can be found.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Scttish Scrappies??

Post by firedrake1942 »

Not Exactly found but worth a look. Tax discs on the green one say 11/03 and I think the interior of the Clarendon Grey is 11/07, I have e-mailed the photographer, seems to be somewhere in Scotland to find out when and where the images were taken and whether he knows if the cars are still there. It seems a treasure trove of spares awaiting to be harvested. Bagsy dibs on the Clarendon grey, red interior !!!

http://billward.co/morris-minor/
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Scttish Scrappies??

Post by myoldjalopy »

Ooh, that reminds me of a scrapyard I went to once, somewhere in Devon. Can't remember where exactly, as it was about 28 years ago. It was in the grounds of an old, crumbling, stately home full of lots of Minors and other, older vintage cars. It was exciting to see so many potential spares all in one place, but sad, too, to see so many dying Moggies lying around in various states of decay. I got a complete 4 door saloon interior at the time, sourced from the best bits of a number of cars :D
I wonder if its still there?
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Probably but managed like a business. The charm of an old style scrapyard was the ability to group to the usually sullen and uncommunicative chap on the gate and ask if they had any Moggies. Then carrying the toolbox, saunter down the rows until joy of joys you found one. My favourite was in Felsted in Essex, but there was another one in Parsonage Farm in Stansted nearly as good. . They had a 1957 four door on its roof, 3 cars up, in a pile. Having scaled the other cars and crawled in to sit in the roof, it was a treasure trove of the small spares you needed. New wire motor, which is still going 30 years later, switches, speedos, bulbs, headlining to patch my brittle and torn one. Had I but known I would have stripped out so much more.... The aforementioned grease monkey on the gate would want pennies for what you had detached from the scrap car. Now you cannot get into a yard on Health and Safety grounds (to be fair the way the scrap Morris rocked when I was sitting in its roof space....) and everything is on shelves, in boxes. Most have no Minors in them, they having long since rotted away.

That is one of the reasons, if a place like that depicted in the originalists still survives I would make the trip. There are so many salvageable bits on those cars. Most are still shown either un-taxed or SORN on DVLA so there is hope yet. It appears to be somewhere in Bonny Scotland, but does anyone know where ???
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

firedrake1942 wrote: a 1957 four door on its roof, 3 cars up, in a pile. Having scaled the other cars and crawled in to sit in the roof, it was a treasure trove of the small spares you needed.
Ha ha - epic! Glad you lived to tell the tale! :D
And that place in Devon - I remembered it was near Collumpton. But it went last year according to this article http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/dozens- ... story.html
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Oh these poor jags.

There is a wood near where I live full of old vehicles that I keep promising to investigate, The trouble is that each time I think about going there I hear at the back of my mind, banjos playing the theme from the film Deliverance........
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Jon - I think you should make it an imperative to explore that wood - preferably one bright moonlit night - and report back........ :wink:
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Ok but will need a supply of Crucifixes made from Old Minor Chassis legs, and garlic dissolved in hypo oil.....
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Good luck then! And be careful while you're prowling around out there! 8)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Not exactly a scrapyard, but scrap nevertheless - an engineless 1967ish 4door saloon awaits its fate in woodland......
Recovery would be problematic as trees have grown up all around and there is no longer much vehicular access!
The car is a long way from a road and is much more rusty than this photo suggests.
Attachments
Minor in wood.JPG
Minor in wood.JPG (476.49 KiB) Viewed 8817 times
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Ooh hurry, before it sinks into the ground altogether! Must be worth a fortune, being a genuine, rare 'woodland find'! :lol:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Sadly I think the cost of recovery would be rather more than its value :(
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I am not sure, there are certainly sone recyclable buts i.e. the stainless steel door tops which always seem to be in demand. Bonnet, screens, rear and front light clusters may also be salvageable. Seats may be re-usable.

I don't think any Minor should be left to rot without at least an attempt to strip it of useable parts. If only to be stored by the club and sold on to members. We van get many new and remade parts, but NOS is diminishing and some of the repros are simply awful.

I saw a yellow minor Early SIII being 'killed' by its idiot owner in Jersey on You Tube and the abuse he got was understandable if rather OTT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czWVO1qeLBU

It seemed to start and run well, such a pity. It even kept running after he attacked it with a JCB - such is the longevity and durability (mostly) of our cars.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

More photos from this poster, I continue to try and find out when and where taken for this treasure trove of spares

http://billward.co/morris-minor/
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

And not just spares! Most of those cars look like worthwhile restoration projects..........Seems a shame not to get them back on the road.... :(
crossword
Minor Fan

Post by crossword »

I think this could be Traquair Road Garage , Innerleithen EH44 6PD . that is where the red saloon was most recently MOT'D expiry 2015 . LES443G .
Another one MOT'D there was 941GPH but not so recent .
In the background of one of the pictures is a church , on the right of the image , which can be seen on google maps .
There is a phone number 01896830232 .
On the panoramic view there is a blue mazda K781RKL also tested there 2012 .
This information in good faith & no comebacks on me .

Regards Andrew .
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I will do some digging tomorrow jm
crossword
Minor Fan

Post by crossword »

As a little aside , the photographer is probably Bill Ward , the actor who played Charlie Stubbs in Coronation Street . Before I found the above , I sent a message to his agent asking for any information . Any response I will put on here .

Andrew .
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

It is Bill ward and I have tried, via his website to contact him, but to no avail

JM
crossword
Minor Fan

Post by crossword »

No further information , the photographer I contacted has not taken pictures in a scrapyard , nor any MM pictures . It is probably a common name though .

Andrew .
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Crossword. You are spot on. Google maps allows a peek down the side of the garage and I can see two travellers staring out at me.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Tra ... 3498?dcr=0