Pick up advice

To share thoughts, ideas and inspirations on the subject of councours, judging and how to restore your Minor to showroom condition
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LCV LEE
MMOC Member: No

Pick up advice

Post by LCV LEE »

Hello,
I am completely new to the concours side of car showing and I have a question to ask.

I own a pick up and have had the underside painted with a rubberised undersealant and this has then been over painted body colour, it looks really good and I feel confident using the pick up on a regular basis, the aim was to have the best of both worlds.

Would this be frowned upon by judges?

Regards

Lee
PSL184
Minor Legend

Re: Pick up advice

Post by PSL184 »

Yes, that is a definate no, no :roll:
Just remember to change all your factory fixings for stainless steel and polish the life out of anything made of ally and you'll win everytime :o :wink:
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
LCV LEE

Post by LCV LEE »

Thanks for replying, that's me out then as it's too late, I was obviously wrongly advised but thinking about it, it makes sense.
Regards
Lee
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Actually that was just me being cynical - the real anoraks will be along to give you advice shortly, I'm sure :lol:
[sig]8426[/sig]

Ian46
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Ian46 »

Evening Lee - Ian46 here and I confess to being a bit of an anorak.

If anyone mentions Concours on here you always get detractors which I find very strange as we are all members of the same club aren't we? I wouldn't dream of criticising other members interests but it appears that some people still think that Concours is about shiny nuts and nothing else. The statement says more about them and their attitudes.

I have entered a car at Concours level some time ago and painted the underside with stone chip with matching body coloured paint over. Sure you will lose some marks for a non original finish but if the underside is kept in a clean state then this will be a known lost mark every time. If the rest of the car is of Concours standard there's no big deal about it.

It is the condition of the whole car that is important, therefore you can if you want to improve other areas of the car to pick up additional marks until you may have to revisit the underside finish if you want to. But it is up to you.

I don't get what people don't get about Concours. It is hard work for the owners and considerable effort is needed to keep the cars in Concours condition but no-one is forced to enter and if you want to there are club members out there willing to help with pretty much every aspect.

If you want an opinion contact Richard Lee the Chief Judge or come along to one of the rallies (like Harewood tomorrow) where there will be a good group of Concours cars on display.

Regards Ian
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

My cynical point, Ian, is, as I have said before - My black Traveller is EXACTLY as it left the factory 51 years ago, but, it has not got shiney nuts and bolts and it is not polished to the 'neth degree. It has however only ever had 2 owners and only covered a verified 36000 miles but as it is not a "show piece" it does not stand a chance against the stainless polished ally nuts and bolts brigade. I have no objection with you or anyone having a go at concours and I would not personnally snipe at you (as it appears you have at me) but to me concours has lost its meaning and direction....
[sig]8426[/sig]

Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

PSL, sorry I don't know your name, have you asked any of the judging team to look at your car and advise on a course of action you might want to take to take part in the club Concours events?

I don't understand your particular grievance concerning your car but I would say that any car has probably deteriorated from the condition it left the factory. They all have different interesting histories, but one has to decide for example if a torn seat is original and should be left, or could it be repaired or replaced to make the situation is better. Akin to home maintainance.

You would repair the chassis or brakes for the MOT so why not other 'cosmetic' parts for your viewing pleasure and pride of ownership. Original parts can be cleaned and refinished. You don't have to let their condition become so 'original' they have to be replaced completely.

Just got back from Harewood. Great Weather and much better turn out for Concours with 1no Grand Masters' Class car, 5no Masters' Class cars , 6no Concours cars, 1no new entry into Concours and Robin Beardmore's beautiful Green GPO van as guest display car.

Regards Ian
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Ian
There is so much more to resolve than just that, as you suggest.
When you are told that if you polished the engine bay you would win more prizes one tends to loose interest as obviously the point is being missed..... :-? :roll:
Rich
[sig]8426[/sig]

Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

Morning Rich and thanks for the reply.

If there are 'issues' that I am missing I would like to know what they are. It could be me that has a blinkered view of things from my vantage point but I genuinely believe that situations can be bettered through dialogue and not isolation.

Perhaps you could PM in the first instance.

Regards Ian
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Well as Lee's request was for information on Concours requirements, he should not have been had a go at for wanting to go in that direction as its all down to each owner to do as they wish, and he was only asking for advice.
I personally have no interest in having a concours or custom vehicle but it does not stop me from appreciating the hard work that has gone into achieving the finished result.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

For the record Kevin, I wasn't having a go at Lee. Maybe my cynical sarcasm came over wrong and if so I appologise. I too have no interest anymore in concourse but equally I would never knock anyone that did - Live and let live and good luck to anyone who wishes to participate....
[sig]8426[/sig]