New Concours Forum

To share thoughts, ideas and inspirations on the subject of councours, judging and how to restore your Minor to showroom condition
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Judge

New Concours Forum

Post by Judge »

Two days in and we already have 6 postings, maybe not Concours people yet, but having spoken to Cam at the AGM at least one possible future entrant!

Andrew has already outlined the purpose of this forum and so really all I would like to do for the moment is to encourage all of you, no matter what your particular interest in the Morris Minor is, to post your questions, ideas, comments, anything in fact that relates to concours.

I will do my best to answer any questions you ask and also take on board any suggestions made.

So as Andrew says, over to you.

Bill Hewlett

MMOC Cheif Concours Judge.
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Post by Cam »

having spoken to Cam at the AGM at least one possible future entrant!
Thanks for the mention Bill, but I can't guarantee exactly WHEN I will be entering!! :lol:

Oh and welcome to the board! :D
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

no guarantees from me either regarding timing (unless they open 'wreck of the rally' into concours - then I'd buy a few dodgy Minors to hedge my bets)
Last edited by rayofleamington on Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

Cam, Ray,

No guarantees needed, just an inerest. You will both be very welcome.

Any more?
Bill Hewlett

Oxon & Berks Branch Chairman - MOT-UK Organiser (see http://www.blurb.com/books/1518384 and http://www.blurb.com/books/2422813)
Oxon & Berks Website: http://www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox/
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

ok - Judge - A originality question for you - What are original paint colours for Morris minors (LCVs in particular) in New Zealand? - Sorry its a hard one!

I guess I get to hang around here in this forum as my ute is totally original except for the radials, and being unfinished. I'm not sure that it would qualify for "concours" in the truest sense of the word tho.
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65427/Sig.jpg[/img]
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Judge - A originality question for you
Probably an impossible question for Bill to answer. I've read somewhere that NZ minors (and other minors exported as knocked down kits) utilised local interior trim,tyres & paint. I've seen a few pictures of NZ minors plus quite a few on the road and the colours are certainly different to any seen in the U.K.

I like the idea that there are people out there who are striving to keep Minors in totally original condition and are willing to spend huge amounts of time and money doing so. However I'm more into having a Minor as a fun way to be mobile, treating it as a car to be driven and to carry around the things I need. Only last week my mog was loaded down with 5 paving slabs and two heavy bags of sand. I guess this kind of treatment would cause a seizure at a concours event? :P I bet Issigonis would be amused to see how his first design still earns it's living in the 21st century. :wink:
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

last week my mog was loaded down with 5 paving slabs and two heavy bags of sand.
Sounds like the traveller, when im home it regularly gets bags of rubble in a bag and other stuff and goes to the tip......
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
MrA.Series
Minor Fan
Location: Cambridge in term, otherwise Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Post by MrA.Series »

Yeah, I always find that I've the muggins that gets asked to take bags and boxes full of rubbish down to my local tip. I suppose my car is the only one we've got with 'wipe-clean' seats!
Boris: 1968 2-Door Saloon
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/76758/Morris%20Minor/BorisThumbnail.JPG[/img]
(In background is Pixie: 1968 2-Door Saloon)
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

our rubbish doesnt go on the seats, we can fold the rears down :p
Bea

Post by Bea »

all the mogs in the yard in new zealand i drove past (or nearly drove past, i kinda lept out of the car and snuck across :P) looked to be the kind of interior trim and colours that i've seen here (he did have 40 in his yard) and he gets all his parts and paints from the morris minor centre in bath, which i thought was BRILLIANT!
1966 traveller to be reincarnated as a 1968 traveller, do you think she'll notice?!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

No guarantees needed, just an interest.
Hi Bill welcome and I think its a great idea, I wonder how many of us on here have the engine steady upside down, I have a bit of an advantage as my branch chairman is Fred Skinner.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Cam

Post by Cam »

Hi Bill welcome and I think its a great idea, I wonder how many of us on here have the engine steady upside down
I do!!! 'cause it's easier to tighten up the nuts that way. But then again, my engine steady mount is non-original either (big flat bar welded to the bulkhead crossmember!).
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I do!!!
But at least you realise it Cam but many dont
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Cam

Post by Cam »

Yes, that's true I suppose................. But I HAVE read Ray Newell's Original Morris Minor book cover to cover a few times........... especially the Series MM chapter, when I am dreaming............ :wink:
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

especially the Series MM chapter,
Blimy you make that sound a bit like Hells Angels, is that the local branch
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Cam

Post by Cam »

Blimy you make that sound a bit like Hells Angels, is that the local branch
:lol: Not quite! I think the average age of our local branch is 60+!! With the chairman at about 82!!

I don't think most of them could get on a bike let alone be a Hells angel!! Swapping cardigans for leather jackets?? Nah! Conjures up some amusing imagery though............... :lol:
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I wonder how many of us on here have the engine steady upside down
Half the concours cars seem to, and so do some cars in Ray Newel's books so I guess it's not a beheading offence ;-)
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I have no idea if mine is upside down...........

Why is there only 1 concours traveller then??

Post by Guest »

Wow, I am really taken aback by the response to this new forum, long may it continue and grow.
Fweddy, In answer to your question, I think there is something in both what Chris has said, re: KD (Knocked Down) and CKD (Completely Knocked Down) Minors, and Bea re: the same as UK. Having been involved only in UK Concours (I'm not sure the Club would appreciate expense claims for judging at NZ events) I am going to have to do some research, but in the meantime if you have not already done so, I would suggest you take a look at Ray Newell's book ' Original Morris Minor ' pages 97 to 117.

Chris, thank you for your support of Concours and can I say that I too believe in the view that a Morris Minor is a fun way to be mobile and also practise this principal. My own everyday transport is a 1964 convertible (modified), while my wife's is a 1966 traveller and one of my daughters a 1969 4 door saloon (also modified).
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

Sorry, last reply was from me (forgot to log in!!, still getting used to forum).
Bill Hewlett

Oxon & Berks Branch Chairman - MOT-UK Organiser (see http://www.blurb.com/books/1518384 and http://www.blurb.com/books/2422813)
Oxon & Berks Website: http://www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox/