what colour would my wheels and grille have been originally?

To share thoughts, ideas and inspirations on the subject of councours, judging and how to restore your Minor to showroom condition
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AntB
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

what colour would my wheels and grille have been originally?

Post by AntB »

according to Ray Newell's book, this ought to have birch grey wheels and a birch grey grille.

is this correct?

the car was manufactured prior to april 1957 and registered in early april 1957:

Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: what colour would my wheels and grille have been originally?

Post by Boomlander »

1957 Black Traveller - Wheels and Grille in Light Grey.
Old English White or Cream looks fine though. :D

AntB
Minor Fan

Post by AntB »

Birch grey it is then. It won't be 100% original anyway as I inherited it with the engine as a Goldseal and I can't do much about that.
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Boomlander »

Original is great if it can be done - otherwise whatever pleases you is good.
My little old bus looks original but on close inspection there are upgrades and improvements that although not original to the car when it was created are nevertheless pleasing to the eye (and the wallet!)
Good luck to you and your car :D

TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

AntB wrote:Birch grey it is then. It won't be 100% original anyway as I inherited it with the engine as a Goldseal and I can't do much about that.
Curiosity getting the better of me - a Goldseal engine will have a recogniseable engine number. If a car has been fitted with one, should it not be painted gold rather than the normal green or black?
:roll:
LUR759H
Minor Fan

Post by LUR759H »

my engine number starts with the number G8 after taking out the engine and washing it with oven cleaner to remove the crap off it, the green paint has also come off ready for repainting however whats underneath appears to be gold looking does this indicate my engine maybe a goldseal???

kind regards

alan
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

With an 8G engine number it is almost certainly a gold seal unit. Gold Seal (and Silver Seal) units are ones that have been back to the factory for reconditioning. The engine code does not follow the standard Minor format and, when decoded, gives a clue as to what has been done to the engine whilst being refurbed. TBH it's really up to you what colour you paint it - for an original look it should probably be green as this is the colour it would have been when it left the factory, but there are plenty of cars running about with gold engines so it's down to your preference really. Good luck :-)

LUR759H
Minor Fan

Post by LUR759H »

my trav was bought in 69 but was re registered here in england in 72 I bought it on ebay just last month, Im learning loads about my car and loving it. at the moment ive just finished respraying the lower part of the engine bay in a gray primer, the body is green however I plan to respray it trafalgar blue. the engine is out at last with the help from a man walking along the street as lifting it out on my own was impossible its had all the gasket replaced and the carb blasted, coated and sprayed!

for some reason the front grill was yellow if you have any ideas why let me know, if you have a way of translating the g8 engine number let me know and ill post it.

this must be the best project a man can have!

alan[frame]Image[/frame]