Engine Bay, Again

To share thoughts, ideas and inspirations on the subject of councours, judging and how to restore your Minor to showroom condition
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Alchemist
MMOC Member: No

Engine Bay, Again

Post by Alchemist »

Hi guys just a quickie... I know that Aluminium carburetor parts are usually polished, but what about the other aluminium ancillaries like the windscreen wiper box etc are these polished or , dare I say it....painted aluminium...... and do you finish by lacquering the polished parts? Also should I stick to the (unreliable) shroud type battery connector or is a clamp style one acceptable on a 1961 Moggy? Thanks in advance :-?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Engine Bay, Again

Post by philthehill »

If you are looking for originality none of the aluminium components in the engine bay are or should be polished./ Plain clean alloy is what you should aim for.
When you mean shrouded you mean battery connections as per items No: 40 & 43 in the attached link.
http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-mo ... tings.html
There is nothing wrong with the shrouded battery terminal so long as it is fitted correctly.

Alchemist
MMOC Member: No

Re: Engine Bay, Again

Post by Alchemist »

Yes they are the ones I remember having perpetual problems with them on my Austin 1100 and the garage advising me to get them changed this was back in 1977 mind... OK My guide to Concours prep led me to believe that ALL Aluminium should look like Chrome almost ..but then they also suggest that the underside of the car should be painted and as clean as the topside, all bolts on the engine aligned etc... so a bit extreme ... so it seems that I don't have to do so much polishing after all ..great... thanks for the prompt reply