Correct washer pump?

To share thoughts, ideas and inspirations on the subject of councours, judging and how to restore your Minor to showroom condition
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Correct washer pump?

Post by Chief »

Hi,
I was wondering if there was any correct washer pump style for the '63 deluxe Minor?

I'm asking because we have two '63 cars one early (quite original) and one late (not so original) and while the early one has a Wingard pump the other has a Tudor so I wondered if this was the norm (any pump out of the parts bin) or if they should both be wingard?

palacebear
Minor Legend

Re: Correct washer pump?

Post by palacebear »

No correct type for a '63 if it's got the earlier type pull switches and pull starter. On these, washers were still a dealer or retro-fit accessory, such as the ones you name.

If the later type with key-start, toggle switches and washer knob next to the wiper switch, then Wingard was the first (of several ?) makes fitted at the factory.
1956 4-door called Max
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

No correct type for a '63 if it's got the earlier type pull switches and pull starter. On these, washers were still a dealer or retro-fit accessory, such as the ones you name.
Thanks for the response.

I just wanted to check your reply is correct for the Deluxe cars we own though because, according to the Original Morris Minor (Ray Newel book) it says that the Deluxe models got washers factory fitted from August '61 onwards.

Trouble was it didn't mention which brand they'd have been hence my query. :)
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Just checked that myself... you are of course correct! Didn't know that. Pictures (page 64) aren't much help either. One shows a 1959 car with apparently no screenwash control. Other is a 1957 with after-market Tudor unit fitted. I'd be reluctant to drill a hole in the dash to fit the knob though. My non-concours Series II has a retro-fit period Tudor system with the knob mounted on a bracket beneath the dash.

Afraid I might have to step aside and hope someone with more insight can respond.
1956 4-door called Max
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Thanks for the response again.

The pump I have is the small stubby silver one which I gather from information I found online is Tudor because on the back plastic (where the nozzles are) has 'Made in England' stamped on it which differentiates it from the Lucas style you buy as replacements these days (but both have the black plastic button and not that fancy (page 64) white handle, so it still sits in a bracket under the dashboard in the same place as the Wingard would.

The reason I wonder if it's a replacement or not is because the bracket has mismatched screws holding it in place while on the early '63 car the screws match and it looks all neat and tidy :lol:
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

palacebear wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:18 am I'd be reluctant to drill a hole in the dash to fit the knob though. My non-concours Series II has a retro-fit period Tudor system with the knob mounted on a bracket beneath the dash.
Thats the proper way to do it PB. Merely drilling a hole in the dash is just slack but, unfortunately, most have been molested with in that way. It doesn't take much ingenuity to fit a bracket but I guess a lot of garages didn't bother to save the customer money as drilling a hole is a bit quicker. I wonder how many customers complained when they saw what had been done to their pristine dashboard? :o