air silencer bracket

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

air silencer bracket

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Ref 53 two door side valve engine
Can someone give me the dimensions of the air silencer bracket that goes to the engine, also some photos of same from front showing the angle it sits at,so that I can make one.
I am looking for a drivers quarter light in chrome [as mine have been replaced in the past], unless someone has a correct set for sale, also looking for a spare wheel. Can window glass be polished up to disguise bad scratches. Where can you get the grommets/spacers for tube valves on the wheels, and the screw fitting to hold plug leads into distributor cap, they are made of plastic and slip over the leads

Regards Ian
polo2k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by polo2k »

fair few question there :)
ill start with the glass question,
you could try some metal polish like Autosol, or T cut if its only light.
If that doesnt sort it then do a google search for jewlers rouge and its specifically designed to polish scratches out of glass.
- Ash
  • [MONA] - 1963 4 door saloon
    [IGOR] - 1970 trav (In Surgery)
    [GOLFIE] - 2001 Golf GT TDi 200 (my daily "fix")
- The only way your guarenteed to fail, is never to try! -
Image Image Image
Click on the middle pic for progress!
Keith
Minor Fan

Glass Scratches

Post by Keith »

It depends how deep the scratches are. I had some success with a glass polishing kit purchased from Frosts, advise is take your time....
regards Keith
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Air silencer bracket. I assume you mean the bracket that goes between the silencer and the accelerator cable stop bracket. Assuming that you have the clamping ring that goes around the centre of the air silencer you will need a length of metal approx. 6ins long drilled at the top to take a nut and bolt, twisted 90 deg. half way down and flattened out and drilled at the bottom to fit the stop btacket. Fit the silencer and check.
[sig]3580[/sig]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I believe that the window frames and quarter lights on a high light 2 door were painted body colour.
Do you mean the top entry or side entry distributor cap?
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Re: air silencer bracket

Post by IaininTenbury »

ian.mcdougall wrote: Where can you get the grommets/spacers for tube valves on the wheels
Regards Ian
My local tyre place ordered some in when fitting a set of new tyres onto series 2 rims. They actually had one in stock (kicking about on the floor I expect!) but got the other 4 within a day or two.
They were knowledgeable to know that they do exist and early wheels with big valve holes and modern slim valve tubes do need them. Quite impressed really.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!