esm /newtons carpet 52mm

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tbucketmad
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

esm /newtons carpet 52mm

Post by tbucketmad »

hi guys , bought set of tailored carpets for my 52 mm from esm ,they are newton commercial product , went to fit them sunday , but front one piece mat (two front footwell mats and tunnel in one piece ) i looked at the nice new mats then looked at the floor then felt all deflated then annoyed , the nice new tailored carpet set has no holes for either the flipping gearlever , clutch/brake pedals and steering column , so though in my trusting kinda way they must be faulty and they had just forgot the butt , no apparantly they dont put the in , i then spoke to newtons ,the chap there who makes them said they only put them in later cars , so i will need to get my stanley knife out , by this time i am getting well miffed with them & esm , as i said to the guy at newtons i was glad the dont make shirts as they might not have any armholes , i will now have to get a trimmer in to fit them as for physical reasons i am not good at that kinda stuff as any one who knows me will know why , ,is there any technical reason they do not put them in or are they just Rubbish Carpet set ? atb frustratedc from surrey

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Re: esm /newtons carpet 52mm

Post by mike.perry »

Fortunately my old carpets also NC had all the holes ready cut and I was able to use them as a template, without them I doubt whether I would have been able to do a half decent job.
I had a word with the man from NC at a Nat. Rally and was informed that the carpets were like that for LHD or RHD which I thought was a feeble excuse given that the heel mat was on the RHS.
Last edited by mike.perry on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Once again another story of poor service - really disappointing. I think I would be asking ESM or NC to cut the holes for you. Clearly NC can do this - they have done in the past and seem, for some hard to fathom reason, to be able to cut later carpets to suit. Why can't they do MM/S2? Explain your circumstances to them, mention that you have raised the issues on the club forum and ask them if they would be really kind and cut the holes if you get the carpet to them. I think they'll say yes just to avoid a backlash from the likes of us! Good luck :D

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

This issue has recently been raised with Newton Commercial by a board member and they are keen to borrow an original carpet set. See here: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... IES+CARPET

Eric - 1971 Traveller
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

They could borrow a car, and maybe Andrew Stone would make his available for the LHD version?
Rather than working from used carpets it must be better to measure up a car to get the best fit
Last edited by mike.perry on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Surely the pedals are in the same place through the model range so would not be hard for them to use template for other minors . The gear lever would be easy for them to do if measurements are taken from a car

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The clutch and brake pedals are closer together on the Series MM and the dipswitch cut out is different. On my set the gearbox cover is not a very good fit and I am sure that with a car to work on it could be improved
[sig]3580[/sig]
orb596
Minor Fan

Post by orb596 »

The carpets for my 1950 MM were bought from a firm called Coverdale Carpets. They fit nicely, have all the holes cut out in the right place and are niclely bound around the edges. I even managed to get them in the original brown colour. These have been in the car for over 10 years now and are still in very good condition. :D :D
Laurie Blewer
MMOC member since 1986
Dorset Branch Secretary for ever!!!!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I'm not sure that the original carpets were bound around the edges but then you have lots of improvements which makes it such an interesting car
[sig]3580[/sig]
dalgrae
Minor Fan

Post by dalgrae »

I have recently been down this route with Newtons for my carpet set I had to cut every piece to suit my car but first I made a cardboard template and then cut to this ,the front /rear carpets do not need a lot of trimming ,I also made hole punches out of various metal tubes for all the holes , the biggest problem was the front footwell pieces that are way to big but to there credit Newtons sent me some more pieces cut to just the outer profile with no slit in them, also they sent a large rectangular piece as well .I have posted this on the normal forum page and had various posts with Mike Perry as Newtons are very keen to get hold of his set of used carpets to update the patterns that they hold
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I am in discussion with NC regarding carpets so could we please lock this thread.

(Locked at Mike's request - LouiseM)
[sig]3580[/sig]