Please Help

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Annie_1952
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Please Help

Post by Annie_1952 »

I am looking to buy a new set of carpets for my Mist Green Morris Minor Saloon (1952)
Having bought black carpets for it some 25 years ago I am now trying to decide between buying a green or black set.
I dont know which colour would have been original, am concerned that the green will be a massively different colour and look awful.
Bull Motif sell a set for about £70, Newton Commercial's set are about £115, has anyone bought either set and can advise me on quality please?
Was also going to buy the underfelt, is it worthwhile?
Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Please Help

Post by smithskids »

Hello Annie, I bought two carpet sets from Newtons, one for my pickup and one for my MM and was satisfied. They also were a good fit. Get some copydex for the sills and wheel arches and you will be OK. I havn't bought from any of the other suppliers but some one else will reply no doubt. Good motoring .smithskids
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I would contact Newton Commercial to enquire what shade of green is available, if they will be attending the National Rally and if so then will they bring a set. Also enquire if they cut the holes for the pedals. That way you get to inspect the carpets before you buy them and you save on postage. You might also like to purchase some mats to protect your new carpets
[sig]3580[/sig]
karlcouchMM1952
Minor Friendly

Post by karlcouchMM1952 »

I would check that the holes are cut as Mike suggested. I bought mine from elsewhere and they werent cut and it was a bit of a nightmare. The retailer I used sent me a small sample so I could check colour. I would use underfelt though as it makes it difference with regard to both confort and sound. :D

Always a pleasure… Never a chore!
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

If the car isn't water tight underlay will soak it up and be very hard to dry.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
orb596
Minor Fan

Post by orb596 »

I bought the carpets for my MM from Coverdale Carpets. That was 12 years ago and they still look very good with no wear in them at all. I also fitted them along with the under felt which makes for a slightly quieter ride and feels better underfoot as well.
Laurie Blewer
MMOC member since 1986
Dorset Branch Secretary for ever!!!!
1843lamp
Minor Friendly

Post by 1843lamp »

My 52 empire green does have some of the original green carpet and the original heel pad,if I were to redo my interior I would do it in the original green ,black is a little blah.
Last edited by 1843lamp on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annie_1952
Minor Friendly

Post by Annie_1952 »

Thanks for the replies, it has been useful to get other opinions on this. I really didnt want to make a mistake as I would have to live with it for the life of the carpets (or at least a good few years).
I have bitten the bullet, bought green carpets with underlay and have ensured that they are precut to morris minor spec (at least they say they are).
Thanks for your help!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I hope that you ordered carpets for a Series MM, they are different to other Minors
[sig]3580[/sig]
Annie_1952
Minor Friendly

Post by Annie_1952 »

Thanks Mike, I did. Unfortunately I did not know that first time round and the existing carpets were not a great fit nor were the carpets good quality!
Am waiting with nervous excitement at the thought of fitting them next week!
Sunrise in Leicestershire this morning gives a hint of a good day, I hope so as I need to paint the floor pan inside and underneath today in preperation.
I hope it will be all finished and ready for drive it day next Sunday!
sparesman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by sparesman »

Am looking for some carpets for my 52 Thames Blue. Everywhere I have asked so far do not supply a one piece front carpet as was originally fitted.Does anyone know where I can get a set with a single piece front carpet. If not does anyone have any pieces of original green carpet so I can make up a set from various sources?
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344
Annie_1952
Minor Friendly

Post by Annie_1952 »

Hi, sorry but whilst I have been looking I have not come across anywhere that sells a one piece carpet for the front of a Morris Minor.
I would suggest you contact a company who makes the carpets up (not sure if Newton Commercial do but probably a good starting point) and ask if you can purchase the carpet by the metre instead of ready made. I'm sure most places would be happy to do this.
As for patterns, I'm sorry but I wouldnt know where to start other than an advert in minor matters asking to use a set as a template.
Hope this helps and good luck!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Newton Commercial supply Series MM carpets
1 piece across front
2 pieces inner wings
2 pieces sills
1 piece prop shaft tunnel
2 pieces rear compartment
1 piece rear seat bulkhead (originally millboard)
Green may be too dark for earlier MMs and different material
Other concern was that they did not cut the pedal holes
Last edited by mike.perry on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
Annie_1952
Minor Friendly

Post by Annie_1952 »

The only reason I did not order with Newton Commercials is because the carpets did not come pre-cut.
Did not realise it came as a whole unit for the front!
kotemaori
Minor Friendly

Post by kotemaori »

The Series MM's I have had over the years still with original carpeting were done in westminster carpet
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

They were probably CKD cars with locally sourced trim
[sig]3580[/sig]