MM tourer rear side screens

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: MM tourer rear side screens

Post by RobThomas »

Original sidescreen (Ex Carlo) and the new stainless frame I'm halfway through making to replace the canvas one. Removable, as per the original, but with better visibility and about £400 cheaper. Two 8mm pins go through the bottom rail to locate it and then I just need to cut some Perspex and buy the new seals.[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

My MM was built5th&6th May 1951.SMM97191.Z12101. T19936. BMT 19969. windscreen glass may,june,july 1951. door glass oct,nov,dec.1950.according to triplex code.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame][img]http://mmoc.org
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by POMMReg »

Who owns the oldest MM Tourer?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Ours is 18th Oct 1949 so I'm sure there are lots older than that. Isn't there a list somewhere round here of MM chassis numbers against registration plates? [Found it... http://seriesmm.mmoc.org.uk/reglist.htm ]

ESU703[, chassis 4819] and CSD897[, chassis 24594] are the 2 earliest UK ones on the above link. Do they still exist?
Cardiff, UK
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

It could legally buy alcohol the day of my birth!
Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

Thanks for the photos.
Jim

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Will.

I picked up some Rydal bar this morning and will have a go at making a set of basic bare frames for you this week. No guarantees on success due to it being difficult with only one working thumb and a spine full of Titanium rods and bolts. Getting hard to swing a hammer!
Cardiff, UK
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Thanks for pics Rob, you going for Concours on HFH?

HFH is the 917th Cowley built Tourer? MM 2drs only used 2 body codes during this period, yet for the Tourer, was 3, must have been some variations in bodyshell construction.
Lots more research needs doing here!
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

If there is anything I can help with then ask away! :D
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Will. First screen formed and welded up today. I'll crack on with the second one when I get a chance, between rain showers. As close to the shape of my own as possible. The Rydal bar was not the greatest quality when new so rust tends to kill the frames but both of my old ones are the same shape as each other and the front corners are at 90 degrees. If I copy the originals you might want a tiny tweak with a BFH if you want it millimeter perfect.[frame]Image[/frame]

I was thinking that if I just leave a mark where the screws go then you can drill them youself after ensuring that the marks are in the right place for you. Paul Beck is selling new brackets for the bottom but his aren't slotted and adjustable like the originals, hence my concern.
I'll leave the rest of the frame uncleaned so you can finish it off however you want. Galv or maybe Etch/Raptor/2-Pack???

Finally finished the MM boot latch for Frank today but forgot to post it. Doh!

Edit: £8 in material each plus postage, or you can collect. Is that OK, Will?
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

[frame]Image[/frame]

Stripping back a sidescreen reveals the rot that they suffer from. You can also see the slot in the bracket that allows you to adjust the position of the pegs.

[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Note to self...always pick up the welded component by the COLD end. :o Right index finger now a bit of a mess.
Cardiff, UK
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

Rob, these look great. Thanks so much! :D

Hope the finger gets better soon.

Will
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/produ ... itting-peg

Looks to be close. 8mm or 5/16 (7.9mm) peg so you might even make one from a piece of bar and a bent bit of rod.
Cardiff, UK
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

RobThomas wrote:https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/produ ... itting-peg

Looks to be close. 8mm or 5/16 (7.9mm) peg so you might even make one from a piece of bar and a bent bit of rod.

Looks good, I will order some up!
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

Hood snap fasteners.
There are two, positioned into the wooden back rail, through the bottom of the hood. These need to align with two snap females on the hood bag, so their exact positioning will be unique to your car/hood bag.
Colin
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Colin. Do your sidescreens flap when driving or are they clipped to the frame or hood at the top? The old sidescreen frames here have press studs riveted to the frames but they may not be original.

Is there a chance you could post up some photos of where yours get clipped/nailed/glued onto the bodywork and how it has been done? Mine never had much in the way of upholstery when I got it so I haven't much info to work from. :D

Thanks.
Cardiff, UK
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Rob, mine has two press studs on each side screen. One about an inch from the front of each top part of the screen frame and one at the back about 1" up. Pic tomorrow. :)
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Thanks. That would be really handy.

I did wonder if there was a market for these frames since all the ones I've seen are rusty round the bottom rail.

Busy week. I finished the MM boot catch for Frank, made the frames for Will and I have someone driving down from Cheltenham today to collect the 'chassis trolley frame' for his Trav which had been taking up space in the shed. Lots of jobs completed, just in time for the inlet manifold to crack on mine last night. I know what I'll be doing today when I get back from the hospital. :(
Cardiff, UK
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Picture of nearside sidescreen with press stud male fasteners. These attatch to female ones on inner skirt of hood :)[frame]Image[/frame]