Green light shining from behind the grill/ashtray

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
h.zwolle
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Green light shining from behind the grill/ashtray

Post by h.zwolle »

Is anyone so kind to send me a photo of the holder and bulb and the way it has been fixed , of the green light that is shining ( in case of the headlamps are on) from behind the grill/ashtray on the ignition key?
Mine has gone so i need also those parts. Does anyone have those parts for me? Morris Minor MM 1952
Thanks for reply, Harry
h.zwolle@gmail.com
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Re: Green light shining from behind the grill/ashtray

Post by TvdWerf »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Mounted here, he is connected together with the choke.
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
h.zwolle
Minor Friendly

Post by h.zwolle »

Thank you very much, it' s just the information i needed.
Someone replied in the mm section, with photo' s and on those pics you see also a high beam indicator similar to the green light.
I' m now wondering if that was also standard.Do you know?
Friendly greetings Harry.

I hope anyone can help me in finding these holders.
WPR678B
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by WPR678B »

I should have some and have replied in the electrical section :D
h.zwolle
Minor Friendly

Post by h.zwolle »

Hi WPR8B,
I saw your reply,
I would be glad to receive both holders from you, please connect me for address on h.zwolle@gmail.com
Thanks, Harry
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I'm pretty certain that the red full beam light that is behind the grille was only fitted to the later MMs and that the earlier cars didn't have it. I'm not sure from exactly when that was though. On my SII it showed through a hole in the card fitted behind the grille, so you could see it between the slats in the grille.
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=64319 [Linky to join the 2 similar threads]

I wonder why they went for a green dash light and a red high beam light. Even with that green light you cannot see the letters on the ends of the switches. I added later switches to the Lowlight because even after 10 years I still have to think which switch I'm needing before I use it. Anyone else ever stated the car with the light switch? :oops:

Similar problem on the Boeing 737. The engine anti-ice switches are next to the hydraulics switches and they are the same shape. They say "you've either accidentally switched the hydraulics off completely in flight...or you're going to". Life suddenly becomes 'interesting' when that happens.
Cardiff, UK
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

Rob
The green light was only to alert the driver that the side lights (we call them parking lights) were switched on because they were not visible from inside the car. I have worked in a control room for a homopolar generator with countless dozens of indicator lights which were mostly green because they provided much less strain to the eye. I am guessing that it is why Mr. Nuffield chose green. They were only meant to indicate that the side lights were on rather than being general illumination. I believe red was chosen for the high beam indication because it is so much more visible.
Bob
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The main beam warning light was fitted from early 1952. It was not fitted to the lowlights as it did not make any difference if you were on main beam or dip!
[sig]3580[/sig]