Lowlight filler caps

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Lowlight filler caps

Post by RobThomas »

Hello.

I've got a Lowlight filler cap that may or may not have been from a Morris 8E. There appears to be no hole for a breather so I've been struggling to get the car tuned, it running OK in the garage but dying as soon as I got to the road :oops: :roll: . How are they meant to be vented? Does the Lowlight have a bleed vent in the main pipe or is it in the cap?

Thanks

Rob
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Re: Lowlight filler caps

Post by RobThomas »

After a week of f4rting about with the timing, rebuilding the carb, re-rebuilding the carb, shortening and re-welding the inlet manifold, adding an inlet manifold heat exchanger, changing the distributor several times, rebuilding the fuel pump and so on...I've finally resolved the mystery of the bad performance.
The car ran fine in the garage and would make it along the drive but the moment I pulled out onto the road it would stumble and almost die. well, after finding the photo of the red car that Carlo, put up on the internet and comparing it to my green car...

Can you see the problem??? :D[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

It needs an 'ole :wink:
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Hindeed, an 'ole it shall 'ave.

Even after all these years they can still throw up the odd 'new' fault to tease us with. :evil:
Cardiff, UK
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Post by mike.perry »

I had the same problem when I first had my Series MM and fitted a locking fuel cap. The more petrol in the tank the shorter distance it would run before stopping as it would create a vacuum in the tank. The give away was the hiss as I released the fuel cap
[sig]3580[/sig]