MM Boot hinges

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

MM Boot hinges

Post by smithskids »

Just some pictures comparing MM boot hinges with later 1956 and on on Minor1000 above is wider than seriesMM one which is much pointier.I have tried to resize the pictures down to 250kb but the smallest I can get them is 560Kb. I will PM you.Regards Iain.
Last edited by smithskids on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EwenCameron
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: MM Boot hinges

Post by EwenCameron »

Hello Smithkids

Can you please repost with the boot hinges please.

I am getting my lowlight resprayed and all chrome redone. Want to make sure I have the correct hinges before getting them rechromed.

Thanks

Ewen

Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

The MM boot hinges are quite distinctive to the later 'rounded' type, they end in a very sharp point and almost impossible to find!

Regards Ian
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

I'm pretty sure at the National Rally last year Bryan Gostling(MMOC Spares Dept) had some early narrow hinges which had been re-made from Brass. From What I can remember they looked quite good however for longevity, on my '50 MM, I opted for a set of later hinges as the early ones seemed a bit flimsy.
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

I will repost the pictures tomorrow, been having computer trouble for a few days :o
The one on the right and the one at the bottom are MM type. Hope this helps.
Attachments
MMboothinges 004 copy.jpg
MMboothinges 004 copy.jpg (212.71 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
MMboothinges 002 copy.jpg
MMboothinges 002 copy.jpg (217.19 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
MMboothinges 001 copy.jpg
MMboothinges 001 copy.jpg (246.16 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Was there a change between the hinges of "MM" models and Series11 cars? As far as I know there are only 2 types of boot hinges fitted to Minors and the change was quite a bit later. My 1958 car has the earlier, thinner/more delicate shape and my 1969 car has the later type.
Narrowing this down further a local owner has a 1963 early 1098cc car which they bought brand new. It has covered a very low mileage, has never been resprayed or restored in any way so is almost entirely original. That car also has the early type hinges.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

My '63 has fat hinges but I have some decent (but faded chrome) thin ones from a '56 if anyone needs them.
Cardiff, UK
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I think the latest Ive seen the thin hinges fitted too was 1964, 2 of my duo tone cars have had them fitted also. It makes you wonder why they are so hard to find! I have a NOS pair tucked away for my MM when it eventually gets the paint sorted 8)

Too many Minors so little time.....
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I think many owners are unaware of any difference. It is a very small detail but........Once you know, you always spot them!
I suppose the original chrome is often pitted, so many "restored" cars get new ones fitted as a matter of course and these will generally be the larger later type...... Unless it is safety related, I would rather have an original part even if slightly imperfect, than a new, shiny item which was the incorrect specification.
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

As with most Morris parts they will have kept on using them up until the bins were empty!!