Sidevalve Replacement Engine Colour

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
peteatreat
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Sidevalve Replacement Engine Colour

Post by peteatreat »

Hi.
I have removed my engine for work and have noticed there are two stamped copper plates attached. One is circular and attached to the side and the other is rectangular placed at the gear box end. Both are enscribed ‘replacement engine’ but the rectangular one also states that it is supplied by Morris Motors. Please could someone advise me what the original colour would be. It is currently painted black.
Thank you.
Pete
c a addison
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Sidevalve Replacement Engine Colour

Post by c a addison »

Pete
I purchased a MM engine from our Club earlier this year and it was yellow where paint remained. It also has a recon plate on it.
I think the correct colour for the MM engine is battleship grey/blue. I haven't attacked the engine with new paint yet as I was keen to check out it working first. Doubtless one of those "some day" tasks.
I seem to remember that yellow was the standard Morris Motors engine rebuild colour back in the day.
Colin
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

20141214_125840.jpg
20141214_125840.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 1343 times
this is the one on my engine, on some old parts this colour was still there for a copy.
And this is the paint code
Attachments
20181016_190306.jpg
20181016_190306.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1343 times
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
manlyvaleaussie
Minor Friendly

Post by manlyvaleaussie »

During the time I have been restoring my '52 MM I have struggled with the engine paint colour bur for what it's worth here's where I ended up. After reading Ray Newell's Original Morris Minor several times and lots of other research it became clear that a number of options existed with apparently the majority being painted grey , some in light blue, some in red and towards the end of production green was introduced. The engine in the car I have was painted light blue originally but I believe this was because the car itself was painted black because the car was produced in December of '52 and green was definitely in. This set me on the search for a suitable green and most U.K. suppliers kept referencing BMC green, however this would seem to vary somewhat depending on the supplier and because I wanted the paint in an aerosol can it could not be shipped to the U.S.A. and so this started my on a search over here and lo and behold I found what I believe to be the perfect colour as I have another engine and gear box that are painted green for reference. I purchased it from Moss Motors in California, referenced as Dark Green part # 220-580 but I'm sure you would run into the same shipping problem going the opposite direction, assuming you liked the colour. Moss Europe reference a BMC green part #CCEP3A, could be the same colour, I don't know, ESM reference a BMC green part #TIN 102 and Bull Motif reference a BMC green part # CAN 120. Two photos my engine and gear box, ready for installing, resplendent in their Moss Motors green are attached, I hope that this will in some strange way be of help. Regards, Paul Follett. manlyvaleaussie
Attachments
DSC05129.JPG
DSC05129.JPG (196.96 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
DSC05128.JPG
DSC05128.JPG (205.18 KiB) Viewed 1287 times