Can I get more power from Sidevalve?

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
peteatreat
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Can I get more power from Sidevalve?

Post by peteatreat »

I am currently having problems removing the head so as to change a blown gasket. When I can eventually get it off and check everything else is ok, is there a way or modification I can do to get more power out of the engine whilst still retaining the original ancillaries and keep the engine bay looking correct? I appreciate an Alta head would be an option but chances of finding one is almost impossible.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Pete
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Re: Can I get more power from Sidevalve?

Post by RobThomas »

Got one here going spare, but needs some TLC.

Other than that, a skim would help but then you get the age-old problem of balancing comp ratio with fluid dynamics. Derrington Silvertop head would be better than just skimming (Got one here going spare, but needs some TLC.) More ignition advance would help, as would a better exhaust system.
Cardiff, UK
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

Rob, what do you mean by 'needs some tlc'?

Alan
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

The usual skim after some welding. I haven't taken it off of the block yet so it is still a complete engine. Previous owner said he had a head gasket leak after putting a new gasket on. Not sure what it will be like under there.
Cardiff, UK