Sidevalve head removal issues. Help!

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
peteatreat
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Sidevalve head removal issues. Help!

Post by peteatreat »

Engine has been delivered today and a great job done getting those studs out without any damage to head or block.

At least one valve will need replacing. Please could I have recommendations as to where to obtain these from. Thanks.

It also seems that the cover for the tappet chamber has gone missing! Just in case it can’t be found, would anyone have one lying around please. An image of the item is indicated below.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=9032

Thank you for any help that can be given and also thanks for the advice for the water pump.

Cheers
Pete
Attachments
AF440CC7-52E0-46A1-8573-6082EB262F67.jpeg
AF440CC7-52E0-46A1-8573-6082EB262F67.jpeg (768.96 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
peteatreat
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Sidevalve head removal issues. Help!

Post by peteatreat »

It has again been a while since my last post and the good news is that my engine is ready to be re-fitted.
As previously stated, I was advised only one valve needed replacing but after further examination it was decided to replace them all.

A good opportunity now to give the engine a good degrease ready for painting. I know there has been much discussion over the colour of the sidevalves so I have decided to go for grey as per the ‘Original Morris Minor’ publications photo of the engine bay.

If I could ask for some guidance please. My oil filter casing is presently painted in the body colour of maroon. Is this correct or would it have originally been black as per some of the other ancillary components?

Thank you

Pete