glovebox clock dial

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

glovebox clock dial

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi All
Bought a glovebox lid clock from sparesman , thanks Bryan. It was for a different model so the dial was wrong and Bryan printed a new one. I would like to print another one, does anyone have a clear printable copy that they would be willing to share with me via email or PM . Also just going through it to get it going and I have found one of the leads to the coil is not attached ,does anyone know how to remove coating on copper windings to re-solder connection , bearing in mind the copper wire is like a human hair in diameter.
Regards Ian

smithskids
Minor Addict

Re: glovebox clock dial

Post by smithskids »

May be meths will do it. It is usually laquer on coil wires. I have been looking for a dial also as I have a black faced wind up Smiths clock in the hole at the moment while the metal glove box motif is being repainted. It is the same diameter as the white dial.
Regards Iain.
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

I don’t think you will find a solvent that will touch it.
Best bet is a very hot solder iron and melt it, if the wire was thicker then very careful scraping with a blade works.
Regards John
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi
I found on the internet that you burn off the coating with the soldering iron that has solder on ,so will have to try that , not sure if that will cure the coil problem yet. I have found a clock-face on this post viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70550&hilit=clock+face , will have a look at using this when i can get around to it . Outside gardening at the moment as the weather is good here in Ireland.

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Clocks4classics do a conversion kit which does away with the original unreliable mechanism but still retains the other components providing the 'tick tock' sound. The kit is suitable for either negative or positive earth and having repaired my Humber clock with this kit can highly recommend it.