Lowlight with heater !

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Edward1949
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Lowlight with heater !

Post by Edward1949 »

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-vehicle ... 1408028598

Nice looking lowlight for sale on Gumtree.
Interesting plumbing for heater installation, see photo no. 18.
Water pump seems to run off pulley adjacent to dynamo. Presumably no thermostat, so I imagine it's difficult to get much heat in cold weather.

Edit: anyone know what that red metal cylinder is, next to radiator in photo 9 ?
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Lowlight with heater !

Post by jagnut66 »

Mmmmmmm.................
Let's see, £12950 for a car with no carpets, a dodgy looking horn push, whose floors can be best described as in 'grey primer' -- certainly a different colour to the outside of the body, talking of which, so is the inside of the bootlid and the boot area itself. The engine bay can be best described as tatty. And wheels are a sixties style cream colour, so more to repaint.
Plus, those rare wings have been drilled out for indicators..........
Read further down the advert and the price goes up to £14950...........
I think someone is hoping........

The red container with a nut on top could be some sort of filter?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

Evening Edward,

The early MM cars had thermo syphon cooling systems. There wasn't a water pump in the sidevalve engine until sometime later (someone will confirm the dates). Even with later MM's, I believe the heater was an optional extra, even though the engines now had internal water pumps and the two holes for the matrix hoses pre-cut in the bulkhead!

I have one of the external water pumps (see attached) which I am going to fit to my '49 when I eventually start the restoration.

With regards to the red 'can' in the engine bay - I believe it is some sort of aftermarket oiling reservoir. Accessories like this and others were fairly common across all makes in the 50's and 60's.

Regards Ian
Attachments
MM External Water Pump.jpg
MM External Water Pump.jpg (191.73 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Here we go, this is the 'accessory' in question:
1950-Morris-Minor-Lowlight-engine-bay.jpg
1950-Morris-Minor-Lowlight-engine-bay.jpg (103.49 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
1950 Morris Minor Lowlight engine bay.jpg
1950 Morris Minor Lowlight engine bay.jpg (802.78 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I suspect Ian is correct about it, looking at those pipes attached to it.
Out of curiousity, are the horns (theres two of them) correct fot this car, they look like the later ones?
Best wishes,
Mike.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

That will be an oil filter, fitted as an extra. You will see similar devices on American cars of the same period.