Second car (non-Morris) any ideas please?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Furrtiv
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Second car (non-Morris) any ideas please?

Post by Furrtiv »

I've come to the decision to buy a second car soon, simply to take the strain of the daily drive off Ector. My budget is ludicrously small, £500 or less, and it must be cheap to run and insure, and last for a good couple of years. I'd prefer something reasonably small, too, preferably 1.5 or under as I don't want a gas-guzzler.
Does anyone have any ideas regarding brands/models (what to go for, what to avoid)?
Also, I need something for when the other half starts learning to drive, as I've flatly refused to allow him behind the wheel of the Traveller! Well, it does take some getting used to . . .
Advice is greatly appreciated. :)
Re-employed!:D
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Metro, Mini...
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Mk 2 or 3 Polo.
Peugeot 205
Buy a cared-for example and you will have minimal mechanical problems. Parts are almost as cheap as a Minor (especially the VW) and an accident free car will have no bodywork corrosion (COST!!) at all.
100,000 mile VW's and Peugeots are nothing to worry about.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
NZJLY
Minor Fan

Post by NZJLY »

A fiat Bambina - that way your Morrie will feel like a speed machine :)
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

A fiat Bambina
I wonder what that is as its not a model we have over here.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Onne

Post by Onne »

known here as the FIAT 500
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I'd go for a Corsa. My son has had his for 6 years with great reliability, and it is still as good as when he got it.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
Relfy
Minor Fan

Post by Relfy »

My budget is ludicrously small, £500 or less, and it must be cheap to run and insure, and last for a good couple of years. I'd prefer something reasonably small, too, preferably 1.5 or under as I don't want a gas-guzzler.
That's funny.... that exactly describes Wilberforce, my morris minor when I got him 2 years ago! :D
Eleanor
1969 Trafalgar blue 2-door 'Wilberforce'
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Any small Honda, or other Japanese car.Polo or Golf

paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

Polo gets my vote.

I had an old one given to me and kept it for 5 years without serious problems.
Parts cheap (http://www.gsfcarparts.com/) and easy to work on.
A little thirsty for engine size compared to other vehicles but rust / rot not normally a problem.

Nissan Micra also a very good car.

Paul Humphries
Furrtiv
Minor Fan

Post by Furrtiv »

Well, I went with a friend to look today at a Nissan Sunny, 1.4 and reasonable condition, but will need a small patch weld on the driver's side sill and a new tyre (probably a tracking issue as it was worn on one outside edge) - plus, it will need an MOT end of Feb. However, it was going for two hundred quid, so it's a distinct possibility.
I took a knowledgeable friend along, and a torch, and we both had a very good look, tested the brakes and clutch with a short drive, and my friend really poked around the engine and the body.
However, I will have to get a quote or estimate on that welding and need to speak to my mechanic, get a rough idea. So we walked away, saying that we will see what the weld would cost (roughly).
But other than that, it was a decent car.
Will let you know. :)
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

Furrtiv wrote:Well, I went with a friend to look today at a Nissan Sunny, 1.4 and reasonable condition, but will need a small patch weld on the driver's side sill and a new tyre (probably a tracking issue as it was worn on one outside edge) - plus, it will need an MOT end of Feb. However, it was going for two hundred quid, so it's a distinct possibility.
I took a knowledgeable friend along, and a torch, and we both had a very good look, tested the brakes and clutch with a short drive, and my friend really poked around the engine and the body.
However, I will have to get a quote or estimate on that welding and need to speak to my mechanic, get a rough idea. So we walked away, saying that we will see what the weld would cost (roughly).
But other than that, it was a decent car.
Will let you know. :)
I'd say "walk away" too :-(
I find modern cars often end up in scrap yards with mechanical problems rather than rot so if you find one wanting welding (and very short MOT) then there will be plenty out there that are far better propositions.
A rotten Sunny with virtually no valid MOT left will probably end up being scrapped (£50) so judge it's value accordingly.

Paul Humphries.
Furrtiv
Minor Fan

Post by Furrtiv »

Okay, definitely food for thought there! There is another car possibly in the offing, though, a Peugot. Once again, I'll have to have a good look.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I personally would steer clear of anything French, and anything needing welding is just scrap. For your budget you will get something worthwhile - don't discount bigger cars though - they are a bigger bargain.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Vauxhall Chevette! Check the Practical classics article.

If you are after a modern, my Mk3 fiesta has only let me down once in the 4 years or so we've had it. Get a rot free one and you are sorted. Easy and cheap parts too!

Relfy
Minor Fan

Post by Relfy »

The company trying to lure me away from the one I'm currently working for is offering a Toyota corolla. To be honest I've never even looked at one closely. What's so good about it? Anyone know?

(although to be even more honest - just to have another car of any description aslong as its reliable; and be able to put Wilberforce in a garage and be nice to him for once, after he's served me so well these past couple of years is extremely attractive).
Eleanor
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Toyota's are generally pretty bullet proof - if they are offering a new one, then you're sorted, but remember the tax implications of company cars.

Pete
Relfy
Minor Fan

Post by Relfy »

Toyota's are generally pretty bullet proof
Ooh good, just what I need! Although this job isn't in manchester anymore, so I should be ok re. gun crime ;)
but remember the tax implications of company cars
What are they then? Is it like private health care that you pay tax on it as if its part of your wages but isn't?
Eleanor
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I'm sure if you go on the relevent Inland Revenue site, it will be fully explained - you may not fully understand it though :wink:
I'm sure someone will come along to explain it easily, but it is basically a tax on your use of the car, based on purchase price, mileage etc etc.
I even had to pay tax on my Fire Brigade car (classed as modified for tax purposes - Blue lights, siren etc) - worked out at about £500 a year (plus lease costs), but non uniformed members paid considerably more.
In fact a number of them opted for supplying their own vehicle and claiming mileage money.

Pete
Relfy
Minor Fan

Post by Relfy »

Gosh! Well that makes sense (in a "what else do you expect from the inland revenue" kind of way :roll: ). I'll have to ask about that at the interview then, along with everything else. They might up my wages to accommodate it if I am aware of it in advance, so thanks for that tip.
Eleanor