Morris Calendar Idea.......

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JimK
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by JimK »

THis sounds like an excellent idea to me. I've got a couple of candidate shots of the Trav but none of the Saloon.

Could I make some comments?
Cars in interesting locations, and interesting angles on cars, always make these collections better I think. For example, what about this one and this one?

I would say that a Minor dragster on the strip makes a better photo than the same car in front of a house. It's in its element, which makes the shot more interesting. Here are good car photos: Link
A windswept Minor on Beachy Head would be cool too. Bill's photo of one car in front of another has nice positioning, but could perhaps be made more interesting by showing the distant car reflected in the shiny black paint of the nearer one.
Nadeslaus' shot of his van in the snow is nigh-on perfect, it just needs the whole car in the shot.

Closeups sometimes produce photos that are far more interesting than the thing being photographed. Here's an example - a closeup of the bottom of a swimming pool in the sun, that ends up far more interesting than a photo of the pool. Here's another example of a fascinating closeup of a mundane item.

Cars as dots in the distance are fine, as long as the rest of the distance is interesting. A splash of colour in the middle of a moorland would be quite a good picture, as long as the car is close enough to the camera that you can make out exactly what it is.
Here is an example of a photo where pulling back from the subject has turned a mundane photo of a navigation buoy into a wonderful photo.
Another: Link. Here the car is a small part of the photo - this would work even better with a Minor because of the constrast of old and new.

So, I'd say: Fill the frame, yes, but I don't think it has to be full of Minor. As long as it's full of interest it doesn't have to be full of car.

Here endeth Jim's "Scenic Photography 101" :-)
Last edited by JimK on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim - New Forest, the Wiltshire bit
grahamt7
Minor Fan
Location: Manchester (nee Glasgow), UK, Missionary Worker (Scotsman living in England since 1990)

Post by grahamt7 »

Cheers Jim, who do I send the cheque to for the photography lesson? :wink: Seriously, everything you have writtenmakes sense, the only thing I would add is that landscape (not portrait) format photos will be better in this instance since the calendar is formatted that way. But all your photos are great, if you've got any that you own the copyright to and would like considred for inclusion please email me at gt7 at thomson555 dot fsnet dot co dot uk.

Thanks mate.
Graham.
MMOC 63699, Free Radical "Say it and be damned!"
Scarlett, 67 2-door OLD 992E - until 22nd July only
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 3.0 Diesel
2010 Chrysler 300C 3.0 Diesel
1994 Volkswagen Golf 1.8I - 33,000 miles
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

As a once part time professional photographer, I would totally agree with what Jim has said. Take a look at this shot, which has become almost totally abstract by the use of close cropping. I will let you decide what it is (very easy :D )

The use of diagonals can also create very strong images.

I would also agree with what he says about my offering, and if it had been set up this could easily have been achieved. Unfortunately it was a 'grab' shot.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I'll send you some pictures if you like- one roadworthy traveller, one project resto convertible and one sad looking 4-door (next in the queue). I'd also like to buy a few calendars if at least one of my cars are in there!

are 2.2 megapixel pics ok? (about 1 meg in size)
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

Graham may answer differently, but I would say: Send the largest number of pixels you can muster. Always better to start with more information and lose some than try to add more.

Graham, if it's OK: could I help with selection and editing of photos? I have the necessary kit to do editing and composition. I can't deal with RAW photos on the Mac yet but jpegs are fine.
Jim - New Forest, the Wiltshire bit
grahamt7
Minor Fan
Location: Manchester (nee Glasgow), UK, Missionary Worker (Scotsman living in England since 1990)

Post by grahamt7 »

Jim / John,

Definitely as many pixels as you can muster. John, I can't guarantee that one of your cars will feature.... :wink: although I suppose if 13 of us bought 4 each that would be the job done.

Jim, I really quite like the one of Hermione outside that cottage. Would be nice to get the same photo in with the from in (early morning?) sunshie and without the landy! Also, any help with phot0editing will be much appreesh!
Graham.
grahamt7
Minor Fan

Post by grahamt7 »

OK, OK, it's all going a bit nuts.....

The way ahead is this.....

If you're interested, and would be prepared to stump up £4.20 in advance (or multiples thereof), please PM me with your name, email address and number of copies (and whether or not your purchase is dependent on having your moggy in the document :cry: - remember we're restricted to 13 moggy pics. You won't be held to it, but I will email you all on or around the 14th of October asking for cheques by 30th October. Given that I then get cheques to the value of 50 copies, I will place the order at the start of November and bank all the cheques at the same time. Phew!

Meanwhile (and for the rest of the year!) please continue to send high resolution photos to gt7 at thomson555 dot fsnet dot co dot uk. And let's not get totally hung up about the artwork - while 13 magificent photos would be magnificient, 13 exellent photos will still be excellent!

Any additional ideas can be added to this thread.

Ta!
Graham.
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

I have had problems with email so have sent the image by PM (if Jim decides to use it :roll: )

Judge LRPS :wink:
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

What a smashing idea! I remember the club produced a calendar one year, and I thought it was a regular thing, but was disappointed the next year.

Well done, Graham. :) A great offer for the 'board membership.
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

I'm interested! If you want an 'in its elements' shot I can probably get one of mine lost down some tiny road covered in mud!
grahamt7
Minor Fan

Post by grahamt7 »

Ok, any more interested parties? - Please PM me with number of copies etc. Remember, you've got over 10 months to save up! :wink:
Graham.
grahamt7
Minor Fan

Post by grahamt7 »

Been reviewing.....if we get 10 and 49 calendars ordered it will be about £5.25 per calendar.....

Come on you lot, PM me with an indication!!!

PS I'd like some posy pickup pictures, cute convertibles, trendy travellers, perky pickups and vivacious vans too please (although obviously 1967 2-door trafalgar blue saloons with the plate OLD 992E are the best! :wink: )
Graham.
Onne

Post by Onne »

How are the splitscreems doing?
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
grahamt7
Minor Fan

Post by grahamt7 »

Bill sent a pic, but if we get lots of pics I get to choose!!!
Graham.
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

grahamt7 wrote:......... it will be about £5.25 per calendar.....
'OW MUUCH!!!!!!!! Oh go on then, put me down for one (£5.25 inc VAT, unless there are any concessions of course :wink: ).
BigMark
Minor Friendly

Post by BigMark »

I have Pm'd, put me down for one
[img]http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Lotusmark2/bluey+signature.JPG[/img]