just not enough cash for 4 gallons of petrol

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mal
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by mal »

Seeing as it's thick of snow up here and after freezing in the garage for a couple of hours tinkering with the Moggy, even cold with my heater full on :-? I decided to call it a day.... after warming through with a cuppa coffee I thought I'd take the passenger seat out of the A35 to strip it and replace the worn straps, at least I could do it in the dining room next to the radiator :lol: Must admit it's one of the easiest car seats to remove....two spring clips and that's it out, no spanners or grazed knuckels :wink: Great idea really....
Anyway, I don't ever think the straps have been replaced since new in 1958... apart from years of congealed dust etc; money started falling from between the folds in the leather :lol: OLD money that is !!!!
I am now the owner of a few old pennies, old halfpennies, a couple of 1/2 crowns, a few three-penny bits, a couple of 2 bob bits.... grand total of just under £1.....
Moral of the story is; If the last owner had changed the seat webbing in say the mid 60's he would have been able to buy 4 gallons of petrol for that :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mal
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

:lol:
When Justin and myself stripped the spares Land Rover we found enough money to buy a meal for a family of 5 and myself (but only down the chip shop). That's nearly the same price as 4 gallons of petrol, and it WAS in todays money :D
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
mal
Minor Addict

Post by mal »

That's only the passener seat Ray :wink: I'm now awaiting to find out what's in the drivers seat as it's obviously used more :lol: :lol:

Mal
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Keep some of the coins in the car, thats supposedly the "cars luck"
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Those coins will be worth more than their face value - particularly any silver coins minted before about 1948 which were alloys containing real silver.
Onne

Post by Onne »

I found a 1948 1 cent coin in my lowlight, behind the dashboard, where there is no access, so possibly there since assembly in 1950 :D
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
mal
Minor Addict

Post by mal »

Keep some of the coins in the car, thats supposedly the "cars luck"

Never thought of that :roll: better put some back tomorrow :wink:

Mal
mal
Minor Addict

Post by mal »

Well, I'm sat here wondering how much money is in the drivers seat :lol: :lol: so, after looking at the snow outside I've decided to go down and get the A35 out for a drive in the country... and enjoy my slidding round on X ply tyres :o might as well go and pick some seat webbing up at my local Moggy dealers, and get the job finished, seems to be the same size :wink:

Mal
Lou
Minor Fan

Post by Lou »

Hope you've got your camera, Mal :D
Lou
Runnymede (Chertsey) Branch Contact
mal
Minor Addict

Post by mal »

Hope you've got your camera, Mal
Damn.. Damn.. & double Damn :lol: :lol:
I started to climb towards the hills and pulled up to take some lovely shots of the snow covered hills and.... blast !! I'd left in such a hurry that the camera was on the kitchen table at home :roll: must admit I was fuming :evil: especially when the wife rang my mobile to tell me I'd forgotten the camera....... I won't tell you what I said :lol:
Things didn't work out today.... no probs with the car, but some very deep snow towards the Moggy dealership, didn't know A35's could dance that well :lol: :lol: must admit that the country lanes were not gritted and covered in a few inches of snow/slush... mind, driving on X ply tyres didn't help :o
When I made it to Tom's they didn't have any seat webbing in stock until next month :-? seems that everyone has been repairing their seats since Christmas, they have sold all they had.... I blame the Turkey :wink:
Anyway had a nice but sometimes 'hairy' drive but glad to get back on the snow free roads.... as the wife said... I must be mad :-?
Don't answer that.............

Mal
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

rayofleamington wrote::lol:
When Justin and myself stripped the spares Land Rover we found enough money to buy a meal for a family of 5 and myself (but only down the chip shop). That's nearly the same price as 4 gallons of petrol, and it WAS in todays money :D
The only thing we found under our landy's seat when we finally ground the padlock off was some used gasket and a box of .308 rifle rounds! :o
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

as the wife said... I must be mad
Don't answer that.............
Well in that case I wont Mal :wink:
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
mal
Minor Addict

Post by mal »

:lol: :lol:

Mal
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Mal wrote:
When I made it to Tom's they didn't have any seat webbing in stock until next month
&
as the wife said... I must be mad
Your wife might have a point. Why didn't you ring them before you went off on your extreme weather adventure? :roll: :wink:
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
mal
Minor Addict

Post by mal »

Your wife might have a point. Why didn't you ring them before you went off on your extreme weather adventure?

The weather don't stop me driving any of my classics Chris, I'm usually mad that way :roll: I think it stems from my softop driving days when I would have been out there with the top down :wink: :lol: I'm not really bothered that they didn't have any webbing left as I usually pass them on my travels over the moors.... I was more angry that I'd forgotten my camera as it was lovely up there :-?

Mal
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Mal wrote:
The weather don't stop me driving any of my classics Chris, I'm usually mad that way
It doesn't stop me either Mel - mainly because my minor is the only car I have on the road!!! :lol: I can imagine the North Yorks moors must be spectacular when they're covered in snow.
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
JustinMinor1000
Minor Fan

Post by JustinMinor1000 »

rayofleamington wrote::lol:
That didn't really concern me .. what did concern me is the number of sets of keys to the previous owners clients houses we found in the land rover ..

Somepne please save me from Poultry ...

My life I'm bored ...
Max's homepage:- http://moggiemax.mysite.orange.co.uk

Other Mogpics

http://mogpics.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

My life I'm bored ...
Not with a Moggie in the household :D
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706