Moggy on Coronation Street

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mal
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by mal »

My daughter has just told me there was a Moggy on Coronation Street tonight, someone on there is buying it so for those who watch the show you might see a lot more of it....
I didn't see it as I don't watch that sort of stuff :wink: :lol: :lol:

Mal
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I was at my girlfriends place and she watches Coronation street. Its identikit to the one on Eastenders, i.e an almond green traveller. Not very original, do these soaps just copy each others plot line sif they run out of ideas?

I'm considering complaining as someone on the show said it was a heap of junk, and even the "mechanic" (He just lifted the bonnet, didnt look underneath the car at all :o) said it'll be oK for "pootling about" but won't get up the M6. Both wrong!! It was clearly a very nice condition restored traveller.

I don't watch this stuff either, but do you think it does the Morris Minor movement good or bad, or no difference considering the script writers are very poorly informed and seem to be content to re-inforce stereotypes and myths about classic cars rather than presenting the true picture.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
eamonn
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by eamonn »

eamonn
Minor Friendly

Post by eamonn »

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

is that another soap with a Moggy traveller in it?
eamonn
Minor Friendly

Post by eamonn »

mal
Minor Addict

Post by mal »

I'm considering complaining as someone on the show said it was a heap of junk, and even the "mechanic" (He just lifted the bonnet, didnt look underneath the car at all ) said it'll be oK for "pootling about" but won't get up the M6. Both wrong!! It was clearly a very nice condition restored traveller
I agree with your comments there but is it worth really bothering about, it's only a soap and they are only actors, I suppose it do's show Moggys in a bad light to some people but if they buy/ don't buy cars because of what's said on soaps, maybe we don't want them to own one of our pride & joys :wink: :-?

Well, we al know Eamonn watches soaps now.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mal
eamonn
Minor Friendly

Post by eamonn »

Never seen an episode. Google has the answer as always.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

eamonn wrote:Image
a Minor owner wouldn't treat a lady like that! :wink:
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

chickenjohn wrote:
eamonn wrote:Image
a Minor owner wouldn't treat a lady like that! :wink:
From the look on her face and all the smoke, I think maybe her Trav's just caught fire.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Re: Moggy on Coronation Street

Post by chickenjohn »

mal wrote:
I'm considering complaining as someone on the show said it was a heap of junk, and even the "mechanic" (He just lifted the bonnet, didnt look underneath the car at all ) said it'll be oK for "pootling about" but won't get up the M6. Both wrong!! It was clearly a very nice condition restored traveller
I agree with your comments there but is it worth really bothering about, it's only a soap and they are only actors, I suppose it do's show Moggys in a bad light to some people but if they buy/ don't buy cars because of what's said on soaps, maybe we don't want them to own one of our pride & joys :wink: :-?

Well, we al know Eamonn watches soaps now.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mal
I know what you mean and agree, however, I would be making a complaint as this is an example of negative/stereotyped/based on incorrect information portrayal of classic cars and the type of people who own them in the media.

Like it or not, these programs do influence people.
mal
Minor Addict

Post by mal »

Never seen an episode. Google has the answer as always.
Hmmm.. OK then Eamonn, I beleive you :roll: :lol: :lol:
a Minor owner wouldn't treat a lady like that!
Oh yes they do :wink: well I would anyway, if I could get that much smoke out of mine :lol: :lol:
Like it or not, these programs do influence people.
Yes, you do have a point, it's like the other week on Heartbeat when they cut a' front brake cable 'on the Moggy, but I don't know if it's worth individuals complaining, maybe as a 'Club' it might make them a bit more careful :-?

Mal
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

What it does prove though is that the Moggie is making a lot more appearances lately what with the soaps and the TV ads and even Antiques Roadshow so it looks like we are in the middle of a few free advertising campaigns for reasons for owning and driving a Moggie :D which is a good thing to raise the profile even higher in the public mind, and grow the membership.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

I agree that the use of minors on TV can only raise the public profile of the cars. However I wish that they wouldn't continue to stereotype the minor as an 'old' persons car - some of us owners are under retirement age! (The youngish couple pictured in coronation street had 'stolen' the traveller rather than bought it themselves).

Don't think that it's worth complaining about though. The club just needs to ensure that they continue to raise the profile of the car as a vehicle that appeals to all ages, as this site shows.

Only in soap land could you buy a traveller in that condition for just £1500 though. I hope that any viewer who is so influenced by the programme that they rush out to buy one isn't too disappointed :lol:

Eric - 1971 Traveller
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Thats exactly what I mean, the mis-representation and lazy stereotyping by the media. It irritates me that these script writers are so lazy they can't even be bothered to do some basic research and therefore get so much wrong. Maybe we could use the age discrimination angle to get them to better represent our cars and the owners.
mal
Minor Addict

Post by mal »

I wish that they wouldn't continue to stereotype the minor as an 'old' persons car -

Louise..... just as an aside to that comment :wink: it's funny how things change over the years, in the 60's when I owned my first Moggy they were classed as a 'womans' car.. at least in this area... strange really aint it :wink: :lol:

Mal
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Mal,

Well there were certainly more 'masculine' looking cars around in the 60's. Being a mere baby in those days I have gleaned this information from looking at pictures :wink: .

There are many people who still consider them as 'old ladies' cars though. Since buying mine my work colleagues have referred to me as 'Miss Marple' even though I have never worn anything made of tweed in my life!

On another note, I took my mum to a rally last summer and on seeing a bright yellow minor she remarked "That's obviously a womans car". She had come to this conclusion based on the colour of the car rather than the lowered suspension, wide wheels, V8 engine and rollover cage.

I guess people are always going to make assumptions about the Minor but this isn't helped by the media constantly portraying them as 'old peoples' cars.

Louise

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I guess people are always going to make assumptions about the Minor but this isn't helped by the media constantly portraying them as 'old peoples' cars.
You are right Louise just like certain other car is associated with Surfers..................
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

''Don't watch the programme myself'' hahahahahahahaha!! Of course not, you just happened to hear about it! Oh btw so did I.
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

Any Minor on telly is a good thing imo.
Gets people talking and gets younger folk asking what they are. Everyone loves the shape and styling whether they know its a Minor or not. People still stop me to ask about it.
FYI they also show a Minor on the beechams ad and a lottery one.
What would Macgyver do..?