Free Classic Road Tax Petition

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rayofleamington
MMOC Member: No

Post by rayofleamington »

but in that case it's this that needs addressing - not people doing the school run.
both need addressing - that's the point, but I think we see it a lot closer than it first appears ;-)
At the end of the day I see what's in front of me first. You can't drive through Leamington or Warwick on a school day, at school in/out time - the 2 adjoining towns are completely blocked up, and a 2 mile journey takes an hour - cycling is quicker at these times.
Myton Road (has 3 schools) can take >45 minutes on its own and it's one of only 3 routes from Leamington to Warwick. On school holidays at the same time there is never a problem.
Some towns have introduced park and ride for shoppers, but none that I know of have done it for schools, because there is no money to do it. Businesses get stung for business rates that fund these things - Schools do not as they are mainly funded from local tax moneyanyway, so there's no point trying to tax them.

At the end of the day, car tagging might help the problem a tiny bit by penalising parents who don't want their teenage kid to use their legs, but I can't see it working to any great effect on any group of road users. It seems to be fundamentally flawed in my simple way of looking at things.
For a congestion charging to work, there needs to be congestion. If the system were to remove congestion, then the roads would be free, no penalties applied for using certain roads, and the traffic will come back (that can't work...). So all that will be achieved is a compromise between traffic jams and those who can afford (or can't avoid) to pay.
Nobody wins but everyone has to pay for a high tech gadget and the additional cost of administration (which could be seen as 'everyone looses')

Just my low tech view on it. I'm not saying I'm right - I'd gladly be proved wrong!
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Axolotl
Minor Fan

Post by Axolotl »

Very young kids also cannot be expected to go to school entirely on their own for obvious safety reasons
Ah, how times have changed. I used to go (aged 5) to primary school on the bus in London, on my own after the first few trips to get me used to the journey.

It was 1 1/2 d (1p) each way, although I seem to recall it very quickly went up to 2d.

I was allowed to walk instead, and spend the cash I'd saved on sweets. That and what we could get from pressing button 'B' in the phone boxes, and gathering the refunds that people had forgotten to collect).

(Who else remembers the extra free Beech nut chewing gum packet every fourth turn?)

The journey seems very long in my mind. I looked it up on Google maps today, and it was 1.2 miles door to door :roll: .

I still think it was further.

They do say that cheap air travel has made the world a smaller place. Must be true :wink: .
Rasputin
Minor Fan

Post by Rasputin »

When I went to school I had to walk ten miles barefoot in the rain and snow,with just a dry crust of bread in my satchel to keep me going for the day.My parents couldn`t afford the half a groat it cost to travel on the local cart.Kids today just don`t know they`re born :wink: :roll: :D
rayofleamington

You got a crust of bread!?!?!
never got that in my day... :lol:

Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

Um, even I used to walk the 3 miles to school. Occasionally I'd get a lift, when my dad was going to work late and would run me in. Later I cycled...

When I was tiny small, and it used to snow enough, my sister used to pull me in to school on my sledge, when I was a bit older I had to pull my sledge, and when I was older still I just wore snow-boots :-)
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

both need addressing
But you cannot force people to walk if the distance is simply too far! Once things are nearer to where people live, then it'd be more reasonable to take some kind of action. Your comment about school busses is bang on though - it would solve the problem very quickly.
I used to go (aged 5) on the bus
Well when a certain person (who happens to be the mayor of a large city somewhere near the Thames :wink:) said that 6 year olds should go to school on their own on public busses etc the NSPCC said that would probably not be particularly legal... I understand that might have been alright in the past but if I were a parent I certainly wouldn't allow it.
penalising parents who don't want their teenage kid to use their legs
For a lot of people that isn't an option. People came from up to 20 miles away to my school - hardly walking distance. Personally I'd class about a mile as walking distance.

I agree with your analysis of the tagging system though. I do find the whole idea rather creepy. Plus I see it as unnecessary - we already 'pay-as-you-drive' through petrol taxes. Granted that does not take into account how busy the roads are but if the taxes were removed from fuel then there would be less incentive to buy fuel-efficient cars.

Anyway I'd better stop ranting :lol:
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
rayofleamington

Ah well - my friend Tim recently cycled to Hong Kong. Fortunately he was at school early enough to be allowed to ride a bike, rather than be strapped 'safely' in a car ;-)
www.cycle2crossroads.co.uk

Chris - keep ranting if you want to - as long as you don't think any of this is personal! It's a mere discussion on road/transport policy. It has certainly been interesting to hear the views from someone in the scool-run generation.

Axolotl
Minor Fan

Post by Axolotl »

if the taxes were removed from fuel
You don't honestly think road pricing would be instead of fuel tax? It will be as well as...

Purely a tax raising wheeze, nothing to do with congestion or green issues.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Axolotl wrote:
if the taxes were removed from fuel
You don't honestly think road pricing would be instead of fuel tax? It will be as well as...

Yes, I agree, the government see the whole green bandwagon thing as a big money spinner. I think its good that they got upset about the popularity of the petition- and it got in the national press! I still believe we can stop the government if enough people stand up ane be counted and say "non" over an issue. We should be a bit more like the French in this respect.
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

Axolotl wrote: You don't honestly think road pricing would be instead of fuel tax? It will be as well as...

Given this is being proposed by the same people as want to bring in an ID card database because they're scared you might like being free (and also because they can then sell your data to anyone who offers a few quid), I don't see this as purely being about money. Certainly making more money is a big part of it, but that could be done so incredibly easily without track n trace technology.

No, to me it's about another tier of control over information that any government of any free country shouldn't want or need. And quite possibly money comes into it both from what can be squeezed out the motorist and who can be backhandered for the tech contracts.

I don't want to be too political because this isn't the board for it, but this is a deeply political issue that to me goes far further than smugly getting a few quid out the Chelsea tractor school run brigade :(
Axolotl
Minor Fan

Post by Axolotl »

I agree.
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

I agree Packedup. I too care more about that issue than the money side of things.

Nothing personal at all Ray! It's interesting to hear everyone's views and also to put mine across.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
mal
Minor Addict

Free Classic Road Tax Petition

Post by mal »

Like most people..over a certain age.. when I went to school we couldn't afford a car :roll: so we used to walk 2 mile each way carrying a haversack full of books and never think about it... wish I was as fit now :lol:
I live on a main road and there is a school a few hundred yards from me, my next door neighbour spends 5 minutes every morning putting the two kids in the car... drives along to the school, drops them off and returns home empty, I was joking with her last year about it being quicker to walk as drive, but the answer was... Oh !! the kids won't walk... so there you go :-?
I avoid driving past the school at the known times, as they park both sides and don't give a damm about other road useres..
No wonder the rest of the world laughs at our 'Nanny' state :wink:
I'd make em walk :lol: :lol:

Mal