Electronic handbrakes - benefits?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Electronic handbrakes - benefits?

Post by Sidney'61 »

Hi all,
completely off topic but I was just wondering, there seem to be a few cars around now with electronic handbrakes, what's the point?

Other than the fact that it can be a small button instead of a lever is there an advantage? it just seems to me that there is more to go wrong, and if you were to get a flat battery the vehicle can't be bump started and you can't just pull off the handbrake to move the car a few yards when neccessary.

Enlighten me.
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Flabby modern man (and woman) can't pull up the lever ?? You are right - all the more to go wrong!
Imagine in a few years time - the Bill to repair sticking handbrake! £1,000,000 !!
ImageImage
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

Its probably an excuse to charge you ££££££ when it goes wrong.

I heard about one of these the other day. A firm had bought some new Passats, one of which broke down. The handbrake is linked to the onboard computer and cannot be released unless the engine is running. In this case that was not possible, so the car could not be moved until the breakdown van arrived (The mechanic had a laptop, which he plugged into the onboard computer to overide it). Great if you happen to be in the middle of a busy junction :roll: :roll: .
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

What about the Mercedes then, this is full 'fly by wire' ie electronic steering,brakes and h/brake. I thought that it was an MOT requirement that the handbrake be mechanically operated ie cable, not even hydraulic.

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

jonathon wrote:What about the Mercedes then, this is full 'fly by wire' ie electronic steering,brakes and h/brake. I thought that it was an MOT requirement that the handbrake be mechanically operated ie cable, not even hydraulic.
Remind me never to buy one :wink: . I can visualise a scenario of computerised steering. Turn wheel to left, warning "This programme is not responding, please press ejector seat before collision". I know F1 cars use it but they are rebuilt after each race and not left out in all weathers as are most cars nowadays. If I ever need a bigger car, I think I'll look for a Volvo Amazon or similar.
Last edited by Blaketon on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Agreed - I'm going backwards for the next car too - fancy a Rover SDI 3.5V8 only managed a 2.3 in the past :D Refuse to drive around in a Tuppaware box!

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I think the P6 is the nicer car (Small boot though), though the SD1 engine was a good one. I have an SD1 V8 gearbox in one of the MGs and a spare 2600 box, which is much the same.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

P6 is ok but the pedals are too far away for me, and the back seat is sculptured for 2 people only, whereas I could drive the SDI without any trouble - I've had 2. I just fancy a black V8 with the full bodykit :lol: That's the "boyracer" in me coming out - had to be dragged away by husband from one at a show recently.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I thought that it was an MOT requirement that the handbrake be mechanically operated ie cable, not even hydraulic.
nope.

Electronic handbrakes are becoming more common - like many gadgets they are only useful for poor drivers.
One advantage they offer is they can be used together with an assisted hill start - i.e. the handbrake stays on until you apply engine torque through the clutch.

Another 'advantage' is that without a handbrake lever, the designers can fit a BIG cubby box between the front seats - A feature I absolutely detest! I drove a new megane hire car in Germany last year and due to the cubby box and the 'size of my rear end' (smaller than some peoples though!) it was physically impossible to clip the seatbelt in place whilst I was sitting on the seat :o
I hadn't been planning Gymnastics in the hotel carpark every morning but I didn't get a choice.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
catswhisker
Minor Friendly

Electronic handbrakes-benifits

Post by catswhisker »

I dont think drivers these days know how to use the handbrake, Nothing worse than sitting in traffic behind a car with high level brake lights on ,on a dark wet night.
The irony is that you can get a fine and points for leaving your rear fog light on un-intentially but you must know that sitting with your foot on the footbrake
causes just as much dazzle. So, will the electronic handbrake end this situation, or make it worse ?
motherofgod
Minor Fan

Post by motherofgod »

I was chatting to my mechanic recently, and the electronic handbrakes are very expensive to fix when they go wrong like £3-400 a pop perferred cables in my cars/vans

James
croft
Minor Fan

Post by croft »

I've got one of these! the family runaround is a Ford Focus C-max Ghia. Electric handbrake comes a standard! Gone wrong 3 times so far! (car will be 3yrs old in Nov) 1st year the whole lot, cables wiring ect was replaced! 2nd year wiring replaced, this year wiring replaced as connectors where dirty! and letting in water! err did ford not expect the underside of a car to get wet and dirty! Another point - it to has a large centre box between the front seats, impossible to access with your left hand while sitting in the drivers seat! Dont keep your toll money in there!
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

I had to suffer one in a rental VW Passat a few years ago. It was useless, you couldn't tell if pushing the button on the dashboard had actually released it. About a third of the time it remained on, quite dangerous really. The clutch got cooked several times... :roll:
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I hope VW don't sue us for criticising their cars :wink: .
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Blaketon wrote:I hope VW don't sue us for criticising their cars :wink: .
I should have sued them - or the car rental company... :wink:
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Chris Morley wrote:
Blaketon wrote:I hope VW don't sue us for criticising their cars :wink: .
I should have sued them - or the car rental company... :wink:
If they do, we'll claim justified comment. Thank your lucky stars it didn't break down like the one above!!