Why Malta ?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
sgray
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Why Malta ?

Post by sgray »

I was chatting to my elderly neighbour yesterday, under the bonnet of my new truck as he rescued me from the simplest of maintenance tasks, and he said that he remembers seeing loads of Moggies being shipped off to Malta in the 60's or 70's .
He says that they used the open container lorries from the cement works and stacked the Minors on end. Says loads went that way.

Why on earth would old Minors be sent to Malta? Other than them driving on the left presumably.

Simon
1970 Minor 1000 Pickup - Blue
Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire borders
Oxon & Berks MMOC branch member and webmaster - http://www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox

limegreen
Minor Fan

Post by limegreen »

I suppose the same reason Cuba is ful of classic American cars?
Not sure.
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

The old American cars in Cuba are down to the Politcal situation, with Cuba having for many years been a Communist enclave in a US sphere of influence. Being a little remote and isolated (Plus private personal transport was not a priority in Soviet planning and was thus in limited supply), Cuba had to make do and mend. Apparently steam train enthusiasts can see a wide range of old locos in Cuba, especially at the time of the sugar harvest.

I don't know about Malta. I know old cars are common. Whilst seaside locations can be bad for cars, due to sea air, I think the Maltese climate more than makes up for this and cars survive to great ages.
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

I seem to recall a post on here stating that load of LCVs (cab and chassis only, cut in half) were shipped to Malta in the early 1970s.
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
MaltaMM
Minor Friendly

Re: Why Malta ?

Post by MaltaMM »

Hi all,

This is my first post on this general forum, although I have often posted on the MM register section. I am based in Malta and own a 1952 Morris Minor MM Tourer and also a 1967 Morris Minor pick-up with Maltese bodywork.

Loads of Morris Minor panel vans were imported to Malta in the early 1970s for conversion into pick-ups. A distinctive locally made pick-up was fitted and these vehicles were extremely popular here, especially with farmers and builders. Tradionally the vehicles were painted in two tone blue and white. I have one such Morris and am planning to start is restoration to "Maltese" specification later on this year. I have uploaded photos of my project and a couple of other locally bodied Morris Minor pick-ups on the Flickr website. Here is the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/47184112@N ... 445931570/

Please feel free to leave any comments,

Regards,
Stuart
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Could you email me the details of your 1952 Series MM so that I can add it to the register please.
[sig]3580[/sig]
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

As always new car were expensive to buy in Malta so people bought 2nd hand imports from the UK the Morris Minor was the most common, most of the pick-ups and van on this island are all ex GPO, this is a common practice still being done today, I bought my MG TF from the UK for the simple reason it's cheaper, most Japanese cars are 2nd hand imports form Japan also! some of them come here as 2 halfs and then re joined over here!!!!!!!

Malta has very unusual modifications to cars, I've seen splitscreen minors converted to whole screen, splitscreen Minors having their smaller rear screens upgraded to bigger screens, all Minors ended with a 1098cc engine!! Travellers converted to pick-ups (will never understand why when you know there are Minor already pick-ups!) and most unusual converitbles converted to saloons!!!

you would recognize a UK pick-up as probably it will have a Maltese chassis fitted as the original chassis would rot away! also climate isn't as gentle as many people think especially if a car sleeps outside as we have very salty morning dew