Well done Jensen.

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Well done Jensen.

Post by Blaketon »

After a stunning first half to the season, he was letting it slip and after practice, I thought it looked even more slippery and that he needed to buck his ideas up. I have to say I thought his overtaking today was top notch. Well done that man. I think its only fair that the man with six wins (So far) gets the title.

I'm not entirely convinced he will be a multiple champion but champion is champion. Nigel Mansell was "Only" a one time FI champion (Nearly a champion many times) but a great champion still remembered.

If my memory serves me correctly, this is the first time one British driver has suceeded another since Jackie Stewart succeeded Graham Hill in 1969.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - he drove like a Devil today - and deserved to be where he is. Like you - I thought he was too relaxed up to today - just waiting for it to fall into his lap. I think he got a big 'wake up' call yesterday! Sorry for Barricello getting that late puncture - but it made no odds - his driving just wasn't good enough today and Button had the job done even without the puncture.
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The Brawn team and drivers were not even in the Australian GP program so it made the championship points table rather obsolete after one race.
I think that the team tactics and pit stops can rob a driverof a win.
If they did away with refuelling etc Barricellos driving was fast enough for a win. Pity about the puncture.
[sig]3580[/sig]
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Quite agree, he was gradually pulling away till all the pit stops mucked it all up!
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

2 years in a row for the Brits :-)
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Barricellos' pit stops all went ok ? No problems there. He just didn't drive quickly enough!!
ImageImage
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I would agree. However next year race refuelling is banned.

It was banned after 1983, as it was considered too dangerous and I think someone had forgotten when it was reintroduced. The McLaren incident yesterday highlighted how dangerous it is, although I would agree that the incident in question was maybe more dramatic than dangerous (Though how far they were from a tragedy I don't know).

Frankly I feel that having to use certain tyres is pointless. In my view pits should be for repairs or to change tyres, if weather conditions intervene. I think they should have dry, wet and perhaps intermediate tyres, designed to last race long (Provided conditions remain suitable).

Some may say that with cars getting ever faster, you need to have options of different dry tyres but if they wish to reign in speeds, do what they did in 1984 and provide a set amount of fuel for the race, which can be reduced if needs be. In 1984, the Porsche (TAG) engine was not so much the most powerful but it was reliable and economical. The result was a 1-2 for Lauda and Prost in the McLarens.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Next year - with full fuel on board is going to be really dreary. All just flogging round slowly at first , nobody passing - steadily getting faster as the fuel burns off. It's a real shame the refuelling is being stopped - next - they will be using radio controlled cars with the drivers sitting on the Pit wall - incase they come to harm sitting in the car.
ImageImage
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I don't recall the 1984, 5, 6 or 7..... seasons being dull. Yes the cars were heavier to start but they were anything but lumbering. As an example, the opening laps of the 1985 British GP were an enthralling battle between Senna (Who had made an electrifying start - I saw it) and Rosberg.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

We'll see!
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

F1, it's like watching flies in a jam-jar. If you want real racing try Moto gp!
bigjohn
Minor Addict

Post by bigjohn »

well said les nothing beats 2 wheels VIVA LA ROSSI
[sig]10306[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Right-on! Another championship on the way.
bigjohn
Minor Addict

Post by bigjohn »

yes im afraid the pressure got to lorrenzo again
but i wouldnt rule him out for 2010 or stoner
hey but who cares non of them will ever get 9 world championships<br>Image<br>
[sig]10306[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

:D
bigjohn
Minor Addict

Post by bigjohn »

but i must say this years f1 championship was watchable at some gp,s and a well done to jenson for keeping the title in england
[sig]10306[/sig]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Quite agree, he was gradually pulling away till all the pit stops mucked it all up!
he was only quick when his car was light - with the same fuel level as JB, his lap times were slower.

Jenson did deserve the win and his driving in the race showed why - it's very rare to make up so many places ON the track like he did - because it requires lots of skill and creates a big risk.

I'm hoping his head will still fit in a helmet next year though...
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

However - Hamilton did start one behind Button - and finished in front! But maybe he had nothing to lose - where Button really HAD to make sure he finished somewhere in the points - a DNF would have been a real disaster !
ImageImage
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

bmcecosse wrote:However - Hamilton did start one behind Button - and finished in front! But maybe he had nothing to lose - where Button really HAD to make sure he finished somewhere in the points - a DNF would have been a real disaster !
Ironically, as things turned out Button would have still claimed the WDC had he parked up on the first lap and gone for a nap! However he delivered those four points in daring style.

Ever since the 2004 season I've known Button was capable of doing this with the right car. Some of his qualifying in recent races has been iffy, but he has been incredibly consistent in the races, as he was in 2004. I can't think of any significant errors that he made.
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver