I just need to vent. I apologise.

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
KatiePotatie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

I just need to vent. I apologise.

Post by KatiePotatie »

I had a lesson with a new instructor yesterday, and he made me feel about as big as a Borrower.

I have happily been pootling round in my Morris Minor for a few weeks now, and have previously had lessons with other instructors. You'll all know that a Morris Minor is slightly different to a modern car, so I have obviously got used to driving Martha. The indicators are in a different place, the gearstick is different, the pedals are different, the hand break is different, but this joker kept telling me that I was doing things 'wrong' the whole time.

I went through this for 2 hours, I wanted out after 30 minutes.

I have never, ever had anyone (instructors or otherwise) feel the need to grab the steering wheel, and as a result of this happening, I clipped another car (something else I have never done). He also shouted at me 'OFF THE CLUTCH OFF THE CLUTCH' when I wasn't even anywhere near the blumming thing! WAH!!!

Honestly, I couldn't do anything right! I love driving, but yesterday I spent a full 2 hours hating everything abut it.

grrrr :evil: :evil:
rayofleamington

Re: I just need to vent. I apologise.

Post by rayofleamington »

= Time for a new instructor!!

My wife had a 3 or 4 guys hat she really didn't like before settling on a female instructor.
She could drive fairly well after 9 months but still ended up with more than 18 months of lessons. She was very pally with the instructor and that helped her confidence and she passed first time.
I guess I am wired differently - I had 5 paid lessons before my test day. On my test day they realised they were accidentally overbooked so I had to come back in the afternoon where they had a free slot...

When it comes to letting the instructor decide when she was ready for her test - I lost my patience and told her I was booking it anyway (especially as Leamington/Warwick had 3 month waiting list!).
"oh but the instructor isn't allowed to let me book the test as it's her reputation on the line..." blah. The instructor backed down when I gave her the list of available test dates and asked her to tell us when she would be available.

She had extra lessons running up to the test and but a few weeks to go the test centre sent us a letter cancelling her test! We phoned demanding at least to know why, but they wouldn't even grace us with an appology (I can only presume one of the tester's booked some holiday, as surely the electronic booking system wouldn't mess up like the manual system had done on my test 20 years earlier)
:evil: We couldn't get another until months later, but the instructor managed to get her one a few weeks later. At least she finally did us a timely favour! :D
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Was this lesson in a modern Katie?

Its VERY important that you are comfortable with your driving instructor. If you feel that you can't relax because of them then you aren't going to learn anywhere near as well and you'll likely come out of the test as a more nervous driver.

If he makes you uncomfortable, ditch him and find another.

irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

sounds like a bully :evil: he will sap your confidence dont put up with him
KatiePotatie
Minor Fan

Post by KatiePotatie »

I decided after 30 minutes I wouldn't be going back! :lol:

I have had a few diferent instructors in the past (it sounds awful, I just haven't ever had the money to be able to continue with lessons, it's not that I'm such a bad driver!!!) and the lady I had was definately the best, I gave her a call yesterday :)

I think I was most annoyed that he had no sense of humour, and me being the person that I am, I always make jokes, even more so than normal when I am nervous, so that put me off right away!

It was a modern car, I'm not allowed to have lessons in Martha as she has no head restraints, boooooo!!!!

I am quite a nervous person anyway, and for some reason, although I know what I am doing in the car, I get quite nervous when there is someone new sat next to me, if anything lets me down it's that, which also, unfortunately is just how I tend to live my life, in a constant state of anxiety :roll:

One day I will pass my test!
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I remember when I was first leaning to drive, I was having problems and not improving for a while in the lessons. One lesson after an argument with the instructor, I just "let go" and thought, I've had enough of this, I'm giving up after this lesson.

The instructor went almost silent, just "turn left", etc. Then after about ten minutes he said to me " what ever you were doing then, keep doing it, your driving was MUCH better".

I realised then that my problem was simply that I was trying too hard to learn to drive, tensing up and thereby making mistakes. After relaxing, letting go and not trying, my driving was suddenly improved.

Sometimes, we can think too much when learning a new skill, we need to just let go, to do rather than think.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Reminds me of the film 'Happy go lucky' by Mike Leigh. Eternally cheerful woman takes driving lessons with extremely uptight and angry male driving instructor. It's very funny to watch but I guess not so funny if you're actually in that position! Good luck with the learning to drive - you'll get there in the end :D

Eric - 1971 Traveller
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

The test is going to be really tough then, the driving test will make the most sanguine person nervous.
Get as much driving experience as you can with regular license holders then have a few lessons to learn how to pass a driving test and unlearn any "bad" habits you may have picked up from them.
Not passing first time isn't a big deal, it doesn't make you a failure, especially if you are of a nervous disposition.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

i passed 2nd time. first time out was with a very quiet (notoriously strict) examiner that wouldn't hold a conversation, it was very unnerving and i failed.

2nd time out, after 5 mins the examiner asked me where i'd normally be if i wasn't there having my test. I assume he must ask that to everyone, but i replied 'at college doing a BTEC in mechanical engineering'. his response was 'oh i did one of those'

:D :D :D

sorted. spent the next 40 minutes talking about 'the good old days' and how he was a draughtsman at Longbridge. We were so caught up in things we both nearly forgot about doing a 2nd manouvre! Either he was so distracted he didnt notice my bad driving, or i was so distracted i didnt panic and drive badly!

it may work differently for you, but i think talking or finding something to keep your mind off actually driving is very benefitial!
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Find a new instructor. If you tend to worry a lot there are schools expecially for "nervous drivers" It's very important you find an instructor you feel comfortable with. Keep up the lessons and you will pass. :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
nejpearson
Minor Friendly

Post by nejpearson »

I found that with driving lessons, one lesson felt fantastic and the next terrible. It would alternate like that. It sounds to me like you and your driving instructor were having a bad day, maybe give it another whirl and if he's still a grumpy sod switch to another instructor. I had driving lessons with a local bloke who taught my older sister and loads of my friends. We all passed first time. He was quite strict and would sound very annoyed if you made silly mistakes. However, he was always cheerful, and I realise now he just wanted me to do well.

As you mentioned, learning in different cars can also cause confusion, especially as you are still new to both vehicles. I learnt to drive in 4 different cars, my instructors car (x2 - he changed car), my mums car and my moggy. It IS difficult at first. My instructor would also take me for lessons in Monty, my Morris Minor, as I think he liked the change! The biggest help though was my mum, who would take me out four or five times in between weekly lessons, and she would force me to do the reverse manouevres time and time again until perfect.

On the day of my test, my instructors car was broken, so I did the test in a completely new car. This made me even more nervous, and I thought I had failed after nearly having flattened a cyclist!! But the examiner was pleased to inform me I had passed.

Two days after I had passed, I crashed the morris going roung a bend too fast... that was the best lesson EVER. Not that I would recommend it!! I was devastated to see my car all bashed. I've been a lot more careful since!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Edward, York, student, proud owner of "Monty" the Moggy.
A 1963 Clipper Blue 2-dr Morris Minor 1000 Saloon.
Image Image
IanC
Minor Fan

Post by IanC »

I did my lessons way back when with BSM. I had the same guy for a few lessons then he put me with one of the other BSM staff, so I got used to driving with new people. You don't want to be so set in your ways that you only can drive with your instructor beside you, what will happen when it comes to your test? That doesn't mean to say you have to put up with someone that is rude or making you feel uneasy. My advice is to find 2 instructors you get on with and explain the situation to them and see if they mind sharing the training.

Also, 2 hours sounds like a very long lesson duration (is this something new?). Most people would not remember what they did 30 minutes ago in a car never mind in 2 hours. As the old saying goes little and often is best, you get more chance at repetition that way under different circumstances.

AOW68K 1971 van undergoing restoration
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

chrisryder wrote:i passed 2nd time. first time out was with a very quiet (notoriously strict) examiner that wouldn't hold a conversation, it was very unnerving and i failed.

2nd time out, after 5 mins the examiner asked me where i'd normally be if i wasn't there having my test. I assume he must ask that to everyone, but i replied 'at college doing a BTEC in mechanical engineering'. his response was 'oh i did one of those'
Yes that would eb their standard question, my instructor even told me before thats the one thing they will always ask you.. And i was the same, 2nd time as i started talking to my examiner about my minor :)
___Anne___

KatiePotatie
Minor Fan

Post by KatiePotatie »

There was no conversation from him at all!! Seriously! Talk about making someone more nervous!! He also turned his nose up when I said I had a Morris Minor. Maybe it was at that point I decided I hated him...

Happy Go Lucky is a great film!! Loved it, my instructor was just like him, a real miserable sod. Alas, I have no desire to try to change him though, he can carry on being a grumpy bum head, I'm going back to my old instructor :lol: She was lovely, we used to chat all the time we were driving & that was much better, it was sort of like the guy I had the other day didn't really give a stuff about me at all...

Maybe I ask for too much! :roll:
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Was he self employed or from one of the big driving firms? Independents generally seem to be more friendly from personal and friends experience. Also will teach you quicker, and not push for 40+ lessons..
___Anne___

KatiePotatie
Minor Fan

Post by KatiePotatie »

It was a 'school'. I complained, asked for my money back & they are refusing. However, I am yet to point out the fact that I signed no terms & conditions & there are no such documents on their website, so they can't just turn that one on :roll:

They are making a point of telling me that the instructor is highly qualified blah blah blah. Shame his people skills haven't been worked on at any point.
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

i would put it down to a terrible experience as it will only stress you out :(
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Driving lesson ? What's that all about......? :o
And - I didn't realise you were allowed to sit the Driving Test more than once? :wink:
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

They did not have driving tests before 1936!
[sig]3580[/sig]
KatiePotatie
Minor Fan

Post by KatiePotatie »

ZING! :lol: