landrover

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
samuria
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

landrover

Post by samuria »

hope you all dont mind these photos are for lee (irmscher) or any one else who likes landys......[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
beero
Minor Legend

Re: landrover

Post by beero »

Takes me back, had several series 2a in my time. Couldn't afford the fuel now though. Never seen one with a sunshade!

samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

this is good on fuel. had a tdi from a discovery fitted plus a overdrive. does about 38mpg around town more on a run.
and is a lot faster than most eurobox drivers think :lol:
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Very nice! Just took my Series 3 for MOT today, which it happily failed! (front brakes not doing a fat lot...) Nothing quite like a Landy!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

38 mpg from a Landy sounds amazing - my old 2A would never break 20 mpg barrier - so it HAD to go.....
ImageImage
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

That is good fuel consumption. My Series 1 Lwb with the Transit Di conversion would do about 30mpg if driven lightly without too much weight on board (It rarely was!) and that was bought to replace a Lwb petrol Series 2 that did about 15-16mpg... :o
The 'modern' Defender, I've just got (family friendly with two rows of seats and belts) manages high 20s with its Tdi but big knobbly tyres and roofrack courtesy of a prev owner wont be helping.
Nice looking Series 2 btw :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

IaininTenbury wrote:Transit Di
Best engine ford ever made (longevity wise! not power wise though!)... just goes on forever and even if the cambelt does snap you bend the push rods straight with a lump hammer, time it up, adjust the tappets and your good to go again :D 500,000 miles + on the same engine is fairly common!

I currently own 3 of them :lol: (engines that is, only 2 of them are in a vehicle at the moment)
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

38+mpg is very good indeed! There is a company around this neck of the woods (Thetford I think) that'll do a 200di conversion - essentially a Discovery 200Tdi engine with the turbo removed. From memory they claim about 35mpg, plus performance equal to a good 2286 petrol, at the expense of increased noise.

I sold my Series III 88 petrol earlier in the year. Would like another sometime, possibly a 109 station wagon. Will be a diesel this time though!
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Yes it was a good engine the Di inthe Land Rover. Noisy, slow, but you soon got used to juggling gears and overdrive and driving it Transit van style (floored!) to make good progress.
The belt did snap on me last year, and as you say it only bent the pushrods. I frivolously lashed out and bought new ones and it was soon back onthe road. the engine was the only part of the LAnd Rover that didn't leak oil. Gearboxes, overdrive, axles and hubs did but the engine never used a drop.
Now I have a Land Rover engined Land Rover, I've got to relearn checking the oil and topping it up again....
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

chrisd87 wrote:38+mpg is very good indeed! There is a company around this neck of the woods (Thetford I think) that'll do a 200di conversion - essentially a Discovery 200Tdi engine with the turbo removed. From memory they claim about 35mpg, plus performance equal to a good 2286 petrol, at the expense of increased noise.

I sold my Series III 88 petrol earlier in the year. Would like another sometime, possibly a 109 station wagon. Will be a diesel this time though!
still got the turbo on mine..... yes its a bit noisey .... but thats half the fun :wink:
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

MY 200tdi 130 is like a limo in comparison with the Transit engined Series 1! Never been able to hear the voice on the satnav on the old Land Rover.....
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.