Anyone else own a Land rover

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Anyone else own a Land rover

Post by irmscher »

Defender 110 fully modded with a 3.5 litre mazda derived Perkins
samuria
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Anyone else own a Land rover

Post by samuria »

[quote
Last edited by samuria on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

No Les I want mine 80mph 35 to the gallon :lol: 2 inch lift and terrafirma everything .I told you I wanted a Landy great fun like you said
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

no lee mine does 80mph.. 2.5tdi free tax and £68 a year insurance :wink:
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Ah, we're down to just the two Land Rovers now, the Defender 130 200tdi (I like the sound of the mazda conversion btw) which replaced my Series 1 107" - I'm still struggling to come to terms with the comfort and refinement of a mere 20 year old, compared with a Transit engined 60year old Series 1! Still got it on my classic car policy though which surprised me :D
And to stop me getting completely spoilt with such luxuries I've still got my first Land Rover, the 86" series 1 with Harvey Frost breakdown crane and currently no engine or wiring... 50mph was an acheivement inthat with the tired 2.25 diesel :) :o[frame]Image[/frame][frame][frame]Image[/frame]
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Nice land rovers Iain have heard the Defender is being discontinued :( Hi caps are getting rare now
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Defender 110 fully modded with a 3.5 litre mazda derived Perkins
I had a cheap and cheerful 108 safari station wagon with a Perkins 4 pot diesel (IIRC a 4203 or 4212) with a very positive turbo... If you did a boy racer take-up at the lights, it would rip up tarmac!
At 90mph+ with a sloppy steering box and crossplys and drum brakes this thing was never going to need its 12 seats. The passengers would have just bailed out hoping to live longer.I gave up with it after using it as my only car and struggling to park it in crowded town centre - the weight of the engine and lack of power steering was a real work out!
I sold it on ebay after it had been of the road for a few years, and a guy flew over from Italy and drove it back :o

Prior to that I was running a 2.5D 88 with high diffs. After replacing the leaf springs with ones that worked it was a fairly nice vehicle and it took me many placed including a trip via Timbuktu etc.. (literally). I sold that one in West Africa for a reasonable profit.

These days I work for Land Rover but don't have one, although I would still have one if someone gave me one... in fact almost anything they make or have ever made (apart from a 3dr Evoque as I would struggle to get the dog in, but the 5dr is fine, and the not bigger petrol engines which are fun but I prefer diesel economy)
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

irmscher wrote:Nice land rovers Iain have heard the Defender is being discontinued :( Hi caps are getting rare now
Thanks! Goodness knows what they will replace Defenders with that will still offer the versatility and utility of the original Land Rover. Should be interesting anyway. I looked for a while for an affordable crew cab 130 and nearly settled for a 110 station wagon. It shows the age of the design with the narrow cab and controls compared with other 4x4s (funny I never gave that a thought in any of the 'proper' old Land Rovers I've had.) but it rides really well and the very long wheelbase is great for towing - very stable. Not so fun in the supermarket car park, it can be a challenge at times. Makes my old LWB Series 1 look compact and the 86" is like a Smart car in comparison :)
Btw, its an old photo of the 86", its in bits at the moment needing tlc. It may get an engine fitted this weekend, but its a while a way from an MOT yet. Too many years being the parts car for the 107" has left it a little incomplete here and there but it will be back!
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

75% of old landrovers are still on the road.......

the other 25% made it home........ :lol:
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

:D :D :D
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I did not own it but I used to drive 55 FM 40 a Series IIA LWB 24V FFR when I was in the TAVR. On my first drive to a NATO excercise I drove 18 ER 85, the last of the Series IIs in the Unit with headlights in the grille and no heater. It was written off on excercise and did not make it home
Last edited by mike.perry on Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Land Rover series one was the finest utility vehicle ever made :D
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

[frame]Image[/frame]

1961 Series 2A. 4 litre V8 rover engine , range rover LT95 gearbox, defender axles with discs all round, galvanised chassis. It is a work in progress, but is up and running, and quite fast.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Lovely.........I want one! :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Nice station wagon :D where did Britain go wrong selling an institution to India [Tata]the last nail in the coffin
estwdjhn
Minor Friendly

Post by estwdjhn »

These are mine:

"Bitsa" 1972 109", with rather a lot of subtle modifications.
200tdi engine, LT77 gearbox, selectable 2wd LT230 transferbox, 3.54:1 final drive. Bought for £100 as a total wreck when I was 16, has been my daily driver for most of the last 10 years (during which time it's had a couple of significant rebuilds - most recently in 2009 it went onto a new (Ex-MOD) chassis.

"Nog" 1967 109".
More or less standard apart from LPG and a Richards galv chassis. 2.6 straight six petrol power, Harvey frost recovery crane. Livery is from 1982, she was first registered around then as before that she only ran on trade plates. I think she was a recovery truck from new, although the crane wasn't fitted by a proper dealer - it's actually the SWB version. Off the road due to needing minor work for an MOT, but could be roadworthy with a couple of days effort. (I don't use it much when it is tested, as the fuel consumption is pretty epic, even on LPG).

"Project Rust" 1958 109"
The third to last 109" series 1 built - bought blind off ebay for £400. 2.0 diesel which I did get to run. Chassis needs a lot of work, bulkhead was beyond saving. I got about halfway through doing the chassis, and then other circumstances got in the way. It's all in bits jammed into my garage at home - once the minor is done, it will be the next longterm occupant of my "project" spot at work.

A before and after of part of Project Rust's chassis that I repaired...
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Nice vehicles :D
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Indeed, a very nice fleet!
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

Ufudu
Minor Fan

Post by Ufudu »

1957 88" SW original 2l P engine[frame]Image[/frame]
Ufudu

1960 Morris Minor 4 door saloon
1957 Series 1 Land Rover

Ufudu
Minor Fan

Post by Ufudu »

Oops I forgot these, a 2,25 P Series 3 and 2A converted game viewer.

The defender has since been sold.... :([frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Ufudu

1960 Morris Minor 4 door saloon
1957 Series 1 Land Rover