One off rubber manufacture

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wavodavo
MMOC Member: No

One off rubber manufacture

Post by wavodavo »

Hello
I'm not to sure if this is the area for this question but I would like some help if possible. It is not for a Minor but for it's bigger brother the Morris Six MS. I'm restoring the oldest known in the world and want to look as original as possible. I need to know if there is any manufacturer that can produce one off parts? I need some door seal remanufacturing as the very early cars are different - possible the same as MM? And some front bump stops too. None of these are remade and non existent in NOS. Any help would be great.
Dave
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: One off rubber manufacture

Post by bmcecosse »

Do you have a picture of the bump stop? Is it anything like the Minor item?
ImageImage
wavodavo

Post by wavodavo »

bmcecosse wrote:Do you have a picture of the bump stop? Is it anything like the Minor item?
I don't have a photo at present but is nothing like the Minor. It is one piece and is like L shaped.
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Not cheap,

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/index.asp

But this company supplies rubber bits that enable you to create adhoc components.

Post some pictures up of the Morris too.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hmmmm - make a mould, and cast your own! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Fast-Ca ... 417ca37c98
ImageImage
wavodavo

Post by wavodavo »

The Morris itself
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hahahaha - many many moons ago I helped a mate to 'check over' one of these before they set off to drive it to Istanbul - and back again. It gave them little trouble -but drank a LOT of fuel!
ImageImage
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

Might be worth asking in Oxford MO/ Wolseley 6/80 circles?
wavodavo

Post by wavodavo »

twincamman wrote:Might be worth asking in Oxford MO/ Wolseley 6/80 circles?
Been there. I'm not in the 6/80&MO club due to personally reasons and have more knowledge than probably than most people about the Six.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

It might be worth contacting our Morris Minor suppliers, ESM, Bull Motif etc and asking them if they have a GB contact for their rubber supplies. You could then see if the manufacturer could do you a one off (with perhaps a few spares to make it worth their while)?

Any good?

http://www.dpseals.com/index.html

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Romek
Minor Friendly

Post by Romek »

Try Woolies http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/

They have a range of generic extrusions and seals it's possible they could match a section?

'69 Traveller project
OHP 900
Minor Friendly

Post by OHP 900 »

What a fantastic project! I presume this is a 1948 car? I'm experiencing similar issues with my '53 van, the bits which are the same as the car are available, but any early commercial stuff is a real pain. the seats should be late MM/early Series 2 ones but in a very dark brown. They were only ever fitted to commercials built before December 1953. One handy reference I've found is a original operation manual (I believe the Six's are blue in colour). They are full of drawings from the time so its a brilliant little book to have if you don't already have one.

Good to see another being restored with originality in mind! Especially the oldest known!
'49 saloon - LMM 982
‘52 4 door saloon - KWP 463
'53 van - OHP 900
‘54 Traveller - LVJ 184
'56 4 door saloon - 656 BPK
Million #281 - 1620 MY
'63 2 door saloon - KGH 680A (was 936 STX)
‘65 2 door saloon - CYD 315C
'66 Traveller - FHW 952D
'66 2 door saloon - KUD 108D
'66 Convertible - GKE 885D
'68 2 door saloon - TUW 453F
'68 4 door saloon - TYA 501G
'69 2 door saloon - RKJ 882G
'69 2 door saloon - ROU 979G
‘69 Traveller - LWL 835G

TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Are you absolutely sure that these items are unique to your car? it seems unlikely to me that Morris would have used doorseal (in particular) of a unique type in just one model of car - could it for instance have been used in a commercial? Are we talking of a simple rubber extrusion or are we talking of a steel re-inforced one - the former would be expensive to have re-produced and I should imagine the cost of the latter would be horrendous. I haven't used them for years, but try East Kent - www.classiccar-trim.com (01304 611681) - there is a fairly good website though obviously the sizes are not too specific.
Again I have no idea what your bump-stops look like or what they are doing, but is there a close alternative? If you are after a concours rebuild, I appreciate that you are going to want to do it right, but if these bump-stops are a complex shape then the cost of pattern-making could run to a fair old sum - it isn't a quick job!
You haven't chosen to give us a clue to your location when you registered for the forum but it is Newark Autojumble tomorrow...
Good luck!
:-?
wavodavo

Post by wavodavo »

It's actually an April 49 car (only 2 were ever made in 48). Originality is what I had in mind for the car as there are so many different features that are different to later cars and would be a shame to lose them. Even thinks that don't get seen from the outside, it's just nice to show its different.
Thanks for all the links. I haven't had time to contact any where yet as just to see who would be best. I didn't know whether the MM Lowlight would have the same door seal - just shorter.
I have attached a photo that a mate of mine took when the seal was on the car (not the best and haven't managed to dig out the seal to take a cross sectional photo). You can see how it is attached by the clips. Later cars have the coloured draught excluder fitment.
My mate, dad and myself are ex members of the 6/80&MO club (left for other reasons) and have a wide variety of knowledge of these cars and what is available. As far as we are aware these rubber have not been reproduced or used on any other car. Even the early cars in Australia have not had then remanufactured.
Again I'll have to dig out the bump stop to take a photo but rather than two separate bump stops for top and bottom, it is all in one in a kind of L shape.
[frame]Image[/frame]
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

There are some excellent suppliers in Oz and the USA with vast ranges of this type of stuff.they ship to UK(if thats where you are).I'll get links from my Wolseley forum and post them on here.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Heres a couple.Still looking for OZ supplier:

http://www.metrommp.com/

http://www.coh-baines.co.uk/
wavodavo

Post by wavodavo »

Here are some more photos. Shows the cross section of the door seal with the clip inside which holds it on the aperture. Another with the clip on its own. The last seal picture is showing the colour. Its hard to tell whether it is fawn or grey (as listed in service parts list).
The other is the bump stop - not handed of course.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Might be worth sending the photos to Woolies (as mentioned in an earlier message) to see if they have something similar. I was there a couple of weeks ago and the place is like an Aladdin's cave full of all sorts of rubber seals, clips, fixings, fittings, widgets etc :D

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

The company I know is COH Baines

http://www.coh-baines.co.uk/index.html

If they don't stock something they will make it...
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
wavodavo

Post by wavodavo »

OK, I have contacted Woolies and Baines - just need to wait and see what they say.