Holidaying in France

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Deux Chevaux
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Holidaying in France

Post by Deux Chevaux »

As the title suggests, I'm currently on holiday in France. I decided to take the 2CV and hoped to see a few along the way, but alas, I have only seen one Dyane and two 2CVs so far since arriving on Saturday. Must be due to the weather. Last full day today, returning to Dear Old Blighty at 4:25pm tomorrow. Been loving the quiet roads around Albert and Amiens. 2CV feels at home. :-)

Photo taken at Skaw Beach, Unst, Shetland Islands. The very end of the most northerly road in the British Isles.

Owned 663 KYC a 1961 Clipper Blue Morris Minor Tourer.
Propriétaire d'un 1988 Vert Bambou et Blanc Meije Citroën 2CV-Six Spécial.
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Holidaying in France

Post by irmscher »

You will be coming home to bad snow :( :( have a safe trip :)
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

not so much the weather,they are becoming a collectable over there,good ones sell for lots of wine tokens,my son has lived over there for 10 years and at one stage had a garage rebuilding french classics,2cvs went out of the door as fast as they could rebuild them, some being sold even before completion,Vans bring several thousand euros,and are in great demand.But you probably know this. One item of curiousity, there are many three wheeled vehicles in the rural areas,think they are about 50cc can't remember the name,was always wondering why they were also extremely popular,again selling well. Until I found out that most of the drivers had been banned for drink driving,but these things required no driving licence so they were being used legaly on the road.5 years back but think its still the case.
The way my son and his mates knock the wine back at mid day,amazed that he isn't driving one by now. :o
Deux Chevaux
Minor Friendly

Post by Deux Chevaux »

Ah yes, the little cars used by banned drivers. Lots of them!! Lol. All four wheeled now though.

I woke to a light covering of snow this morning, but there was a fair covering by the time I got to Bapaume. I'm now in Péronne for lunch.

Passed a blue 2CV on the road here and gave each other a wave. :-)

Photo taken at Skaw Beach, Unst, Shetland Islands. The very end of the most northerly road in the British Isles.

Deux Chevaux
Minor Friendly

Post by Deux Chevaux »

Forgot to say that even in the UK prices for 2CVs have taken off. Not uncommon to see them sell for £6k-£10k now, and as much as €15k in France and Germany.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As an ex 2CV owner (and I loved it - but not in winter) - did you drive all the way from Shetlands to France (apart from obvious ferry crossings...) ?
ImageImage
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Yes, they are fab cars. Mine had a great heater( by 1975 standards!) I'd love another but not sure if the boss would allow another garage.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

A very clever timeless design :) and reliable
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

4.30am?Lee are you a burglar?
Mick
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

:lol: :lol: I was out rock salting :(
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

A likely story!
Deux Chevaux
Minor Friendly

Post by Deux Chevaux »

bmcecosse wrote:As an ex 2CV owner (and I loved it - but not in winter) - did you drive all the way from Shetlands to France (apart from obvious ferry crossings...) ?
Not quite all the way from Shetland. It's wintering in my sister's garage in the English Midlands. The climate in Shetland is far too harsh at this time of year. Even with it sat in a decent garage the climate can get at it. :( A friend of mine decided he was going to visit me this time last year in his 1969 2CV Fourgonnette (van). It was very much more rusty by the end of his two week stay. I did advise him to use the Focus..... Honest. :lol:

I rolled off the ferry in Dover around 4pm today and covered 215 miles by 8:30pm, including a half hour break for a meal.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Are you back home safe? Great place to live,but some travelling!!
Deux Chevaux
Minor Friendly

Post by Deux Chevaux »

Not yet. I'm staying down south for a while for family reasons. I should be heading back in a couple of months. I'm enjoying the tropical conditions of Worcestershire. :lol: