So!

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: So!

Post by LobbyLudd »

When a manager (for a top name vehicle company I will not mention) returned a few weeks ago from a 'motivational' training course and posts a notice of recommendations on the staff notice board with one line reading "Don't use feature babble to our customers" ??? (Thank goodness I am of retired age and only doing the odd part time work and not in any way considered a candidate for any daft courses - Done it seen it so often in the past :roll: )

The larger, and more well known organisation today seem to be spending more and more money on these 'expert' outside training firms and to what end result? They seem to want to make everyone into cloned robotic beings.
Begin conversation -"Hi I am Fred your advisor today on Blah Blah Blah" I need to ask you some personal details"
End conversation - "Is there anything more I can do for you today" :-?
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

The management at work love all this managementspeak. When they talk about 'solutionizing' things being 'rolled out' and 'put in place', but mainly things being 'played out in the theatre of the workplace', I stick my hand up and ask:- "What's the risk factor on that? Can you quantify it?"
That usually stops them!
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

"Can I get", as in "can I get a coffee", when the meaning is "may I have". Hear it all the time now, where did that come from?

When talking about proposed projects - "Can it wash its face?" or "Let's see if its got legs"

Mark
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

"Train Stn" instead of "Rly Stn".

Pamphlets/leaflets etc with pics of smiling stereotypical people; to illustrate - ethnic/yoof and retired folk - that "diversity" is the IN word!

"Move on"

Blokes from Kent with 2 LCVs.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

"Let's run it up the flag pole, and see who salutes it."
Authors who miss a Christmas deadline.

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

POMMReg wrote:"Train Stn" instead of "Rly Stn".
Keep up. It's "Station Stop" according to the guards, sorry train managers, on the TransPennine Express (the slow trains which join the towns of the Northern Powerhouse together)
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Well, or should I say "SO" ?
A wonderful response chaps, however, I am flabbergasted nobody mentioned.............."Going Forward"
Where angels fear to tread
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

As a northerner with some knowledge on the subject , I can assure everyone that northern english is much closer to true original english than the southern version. The southern long vowels originated in the regency period when it was fashionable to adopt foppish french ways of pronunciation. Glass is pronounced how it looks. It is not glarss. One does not cut grarss.
Another that has crept into southern speak is pronouncing 'worry' wrong. Even on the Beeb they have started to pronounce it as rhyming with lorry. And don't get me started on using 'two times' instead of 'twice'
We all say Morris Minor correctly though... :P
Good home offered for custom splittie
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Probably OK when referring to the two times table.

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Also nearly everything in the speeches of Mr Cameron. Even by politician standards he seems to talk almost entirely in platitudes. I don't think posterity will rate him as one of the great political thinkers.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

It drives me mad when people say barth instead of bath .Why is it that a lot of young people in London etc sound like they were born in the ghetto??with a weird accent :lol:
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

-----maybe they were.

TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Also nearly everything in the speeches of Mr Cameron. Even by politician standards he seems to talk almost entirely in platitudes
There's a more anglo-saxon term for it...
Good home offered for custom splittie
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Think outside the box/moving the goalposts....

Personnel/Human Resources

Staff/Colleague

Poss locations of the Northern Powerhouse; a Crisp & snack manufacturer in Leicester or a call centre in Leeds.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

The north/south pronunciation debate has got some mileage in it... :)
I know we will have to agree to differ on many words but I could never understand why the northern pronunciation of the word for a four string guitar is base and not bass :-?
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

TDV102 wrote:As a northerner with some knowledge on the subject , I can assure everyone that northern english is much closer to true original english than the southern version. The southern long vowels originated in the regency period when it was fashionable to adopt foppish french ways of pronunciation. Glass is pronounced how it looks. It is not glarss. One does not cut grarss.
Another that has crept into southern speak is pronouncing 'worry' wrong. Even on the Beeb they have started to pronounce it as rhyming with lorry. And don't get me started on using 'two times' instead of 'twice'

We all say Morris Minor correctly though... :P
How long ago has 'Moggy' Minor been around though :lol: ? (May be wrong, but it seems often used instead of Morris Minor, even in classified ads and has been acceptable and regarded as an affectionate name ? )

Not so sure about 'Morry' ( quoted often by some overseas owners for some reason) :lol:
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Choc a block when traffic is busy where did that come from
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

My all time favourite is - a 'brain fart' :roll:
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

not heard that one :lol: :lol: :lol:
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Started to become popular with the up and coming young managers shortly before I took early retirement, thank goodness I'm out of it. My immediate boss was in that clique and he used to come up with all the 'speak', I just raised my eyebrows at him and said 'English please'. Being an old dinosaur I got away with it :)