1931 Morris minor

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dozergyp
MMOC Member: No

1931 Morris minor

Post by dozergyp »

Hi all, I am new to Morris, Have got 2 Austin specials and a 1957 moggy convertible, I am thinking of
getting a 1931 as i need doors to get in and out easier, Can anybody tell is the 31 side valve morris 2 door is
about the same to drive as my Austin ? Roughly same power / gearbox / brakes (well)
So any information on this type of car would be appreciated
Thanks " Take care out there " John
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1931 Morris minor

Post by SteveClem »

I've got very limited experience on pre war cars but I think you'll find a world of difference between something from the 30's and a 50's/60's car. My '55 Austin is a delight but really not usable as a daily driver. The '61 Morris is completely practical for local driving. The later Trav and the '70's beetle are fit for motorways. Every decade brings changes,just remember that they were designed for their time.
autolycus
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by autolycus »

You'd probably get better answers from the Morris Register or the Pre-war Austin 7 club, as most folk here are primarily into post-cars. The nearest comparison from my own direct experience is between a Series 1 Morris 8 (1937) (which I learned to drive on) and an Austin 10 Lichfield.

The brakes were better on the Morris (hydraulic, as against rods and cables), and certainly by the pre-Series and Series 1 the Morris was bigger, better trimmed, and more comfortable inside. OTOH, the three speed Morris box was a pain, and condemned you to long moderate hills at 30-odd in second.

Kevin
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by smithskids »

The 31 Morris Minor has rod and cable brakes and a slightly different sidevalve engine or an ohc engine if it is original. A series E is a better car as it has hydraulic brakes and a 4 speed gearbox. the deluxe saloon is quite comfortable and is a bit quieter than the 8. :D