Wall of Death

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Wall of Death

Post by bmcecosse »

Much as I can't stand Guy Martin, I decided to watch the programme last night - and I have to say I was mightily impressed. I did see a Wall of Death show many moons ago as a wee lad - which reinforced my idea that I didn't fancy a motorbike..... I didn't appreciate the G forces involved - or the dizziness, although I do think the yellow/red floor markings flashing past wouldn't help - painted a solid colour would surely be better - and indeed the record attempt did have a more sensible floor arrangement. So full marks from me to Martin for his efforts. Not entirely sure why he felt the need to build a special bike for the second attempt - must have added considerably to the Production costs for little extra benefit to the spectacle. Question that wasn't asked - and springs to my mind - why do they always go round anti-clockwise ? Is it to do with the Earth's spin ? Or just a tradition?
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Wall of Death

Post by les »

Yes if they went the other way they'd catch up with earths rotation and fall off! :roll: :D

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

When I had a motorcycle,many years since, I always found left hand bends easier. So perhaps there is a scientific reason.
Mind you I could fall off on any bend, left or right.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I think this link makes it clear as mud, or maybe its just like the plug hole thing where it depends which hemisphere your in as to which was the water roates.
http://physics.mut.ac.th/PhysicsMagic/wall.htm

leafie

Post by leafie »

SteveClem wrote:When I had a motorcycle,many years since, I always found left hand bends easier. So perhaps there is a scientific reason.
Last week I looked at a motorbike through a showroom window, the voice behind me said " you can get that idea out of your head right now, I spent enough time in casualty waiting for you the last time you had one of those things."

I was led away like a naughty school boy by she who must be obeyed. :oops:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's all the simple 'stick to the wall' theory, which was much better explained on the programme with a tennis ball and a bit of string...... But doesn't explain why it always seems to be done anti-clockwise !
ImageImage
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

If you went clockwise you would screw up time and the world would end in a flash :D :oops:

diggerjones
Minor Fan

Post by diggerjones »

The spinning tennis ball lifting the brick impressed me.
I've just built a pizza /bread oven, got me thinking they could build a dome above the wall now that would be worth watching
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Quite enjoyed the program but a shame that time got in the way of another run, although I think Martin did push it to the limit of what his body could take.
It could be the anti-clockwise direction was because the WoD started off in the USA and simply copied the oval races practice of going in that direction.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

leafie wrote:
SteveClem wrote:When I had a motorcycle,many years since, I always found left hand bends easier. So perhaps there is a scientific reason.
Last week I looked at a motorbike through a showroom window, the voice behind me said " you can get that idea out of your head right now, I spent enough time in casualty waiting for you the last time you had one of those things."

Never mind, those dishes need washing! :o

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh he was at the limit - said he 'greyed out' at one point, and indeed there was a nasty wobble - probably when that happened. I suppose more could be done if wearing a pressure suit - as worn as by combat pilots - to stop the blood flowing away from the head. I expect it's a record that will not be beaten for a long time.
ImageImage
leafie

Post by leafie »

les wrote:
leafie wrote:

Never mind, those dishes need washing! :o
Got a dishwasher years ago, really useful for cleaning those engine parts. :D
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

He didn't actually build the bike for the show.

If you read his books it was a long term project, and he used the program as the motivation to get it sorted. I don't think the production company paid anything (directly) for it?
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics