This Europe referendum malarkey

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

This Europe referendum malarkey

Post by SteveClem »

I'm undecided at the moment...lots of pros and cons,but not happy about some of the suggestions about what what the eu is intending to use re a definition of a 'classic 'car. And that they don't believe one should be used as an everyday vehicle... Their suggestions seem odd..
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: This Europe referendum malarkey

Post by olderisbetter »

This is interesting but i cannot discuss this at the moment as i am eating my random sized boiled eggs and some bread that is one day past its sell by date, i know this was ok before the E.U. but i am such a rebel.

alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Britain didn't get where it was by being in the EU. Since being in it, it seems we have gone downhill at an ever increasing pace.
Bring back bent bananas and imperial!

Alan
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

I'm also in the 'undecided' camp. I think it'll be almost impossible for the electorate to make an informed decision on this, as we're not being given any facts. All we're getting is scaremongering from BOTH sides.
I would suggest that we should take the 'anti-old-car' legislation out of the equation. This legislation originates from the UN, not the EU. In other words we'd have to fight this whether we're in the EU or not.
I'm not telling anyone how to vote, but please ensure that you do vote!
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

i'm voting OUT.

it's our one and only chance to get out of the EU.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Difficult this, we're not supposed to cover politics, so should I lock the thread? On the other hand, the EU does have a serious impact on the Classic Car Movement and we need free speech; so perhaps it should run on.

Given that the Government is going to spend £9 million OF OUR MONEY on telling us why should stay, that seems to be a pretty good reason why (a) the thread should go on and (b) we should leave. :-?
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I heard an interesting ,and quite logical, opinion yesterday suggesting that only younger people should have a vote in the referendum. The theory being that it's about their futures and the outcome is unlikely to make much difference to us older folk one way or the other.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes interesting but everyone should have a vote, young people for what they see as their future and older folk for their ability to compare what they once had to what they've got now.

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Just consider that the FBHVC only exists to try and prevent EU legislation from driving our classic cars from the road!

The EU would like to scrap all classics and make us drive Euroboxes.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

SteveClem wrote:I heard an interesting ,and quite logical, opinion yesterday suggesting that only younger people should have a vote in the referendum. The theory being that it's about their futures and the outcome is unlikely to make much difference to us older folk one way or the other.
Everybody should vote as the effects are far reaching, my issue with the "out" campaign is that we don't know how it will affect us in the long term, there's a lot more to it than just classic car legislation and immigration arguments and the other single issue points each camp is throwing at us. In my view it's not the single issues we should be looking at, it's the big picture.
alanworland wrote:Britain didn't get where it was by being in the EU. Since being in it, it seems we have gone downhill at an ever increasing pace.
Bring back bent bananas and imperial!

Alan
Alan, I don't know if you are being serious or not but if you are then your statement is a great example of looking at the bigger picture.
I am not be berating you for your statement, just trying to offer my opinion on your statement! :D
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Don't take the in/out campaigns to seriously as like most campaigns they are not always fully truthful. I am not saying they will be telling blatant lies just tweaking the truth a bit. Happens all the time. Read between the lines and if you are not sure about something then have a good google. I must admit I am for out. I am old enough to have seen the effects of the changes and do not agree in the slightest they are good for the British more for the continentals. We were doing very well before we joined but I am not convinced we have done any better for being in, different but not better.

john newton
Minor Friendly

Post by john newton »

e.e.c. was all about coal and steel.goal posts have been moved every year since inception' towards continental side..they choose which laws to obey as and when it suits them our rotten mob,paid [by them] do their bidding to our cost.whether vintage vehicles get the chop is in the lap of the gods..young people today are politicaly dim as an old dashboard lamp it is us olduns who remember that should vote,, re john.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Dim as a TOC H lamp, I think you mean!

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Oh dear, what did I start...? Good fun though.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

It bugs me the money that is spent on the European Parliament, how many overpaid MEP's are there debating ridiculous and irrelavant legislation designed to turn us all into Euro-clones. I don't want to be a European, I'm British, I know which way I'm voting.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Just read a letter sent in to our local paper and the person wrote:
"We have to pay to be in the eu and that gives us unrestricted trading rights. Sounds like a modern take on a protection racket to me."
I quite agree.

john newton
Minor Friendly

Post by john newton »

thanks les i didnt think anyone would remember toc h lamps.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I am going to re address my £9 million leaflet to 10 Downing Street (Not interested at this address). I just think of the cost of moving the whole circus between Brussels and Strasburg every month or whenever and translating every document into every member language, plus the expenses gravy train. Our contribution would go a long way towards reducing our national debt.
We had a good trading business going with the Commonwealth before the Common Market
[sig]3580[/sig]
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Don't send it to Downing street Mike. Instead mail it in another envelope to Scamerons Witney Constituency address with no stamp. This way the local party pays for this not we taxpayers. Shameful waste of taxpayers money and against what was agreed at the announcement of this much needed Referendum. Vote Leave.
John
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

I do not know what is happening in your country, but on this way, the UK is going to be a cheap country for us ;)
Since the Euro, the pound is cheap, and since last December, the pound is going cheaper and cheaper...
MM '51 LHD sidevalve