Fibreglass roofing

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Fibreglass roofing

Post by olderisbetter »

After many years of sheds and garages leaking i decided to try using fibreglass and i am very happy with the results, it has cost about £400 for a 4m x 7m flat roof and the new storage shed next door but i was quoted nearly £1000 in tar based roofing and with the money i saved i think i might invest in a plasma cutter, so there is no real saving :D

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fibreglass roofing

Post by les »

Is that a polythene sheet over the osb boards before you laid the glass, or does the picture just look that way?

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

it just looks that way, its the resin and mat all the way across but i changed the fibre glass roll for the last 2 runs

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Oh ok, I've just had a similar roof fitted and didn't think the polythene featured. Where my boards join there are small gaps and from inside the garage looking up, I can see light, so imagine the glass matting is quite thin, They said they put two layers on though. They also used plywood as opposed to the usual osb boards.

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Ok i understand the gaps you mean, the way i have done it is using osb that has tounge and grove around so it has no gaps, i primed with resin and then soaked the fibreglass and then finished with a top coat of grey, i have no joints in the osb to let light in but i pressume some light would get throught the fibreglass if i did, aslong as it holds water i would'nt worry .

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I have ended up with a good sized storage on the back of the garage, it's bigger than the garage but its only for storage not parking, i have to clad the sides yet but its concrete block below ground, but it won't take long to fill with bits :roll:

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I assume you needed Planning Permission for that??
ImageImage
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Its a wooden building not attached to a house, so its a shed.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Must be different Planning Rules in England..... :o I certainly can't just stick something like that up in my garden..... What roof drainage arrangements have you made??
ImageImage
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

It has connection to live drainage and a run of slot drain all around the base, it will have guttering into water butts and then an overflow into the back fill gully.

dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

bmcecosse wrote:Must be different Planning Rules in England..... :o I certainly can't just stick something like that up in my garden..... What roof drainage arrangements have you made??
You can build a shed just under 30 sq.m internal area without planning permission. I've heard but am not certain that you could then build another identical shed next to it also without planning as long as it doesn't take up more than 50% of the original garden. If it's flammable it must be at least 1m from the boundary line.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Well the ugly shed side has gone now that the cladding and faux windows been fitted, the weather has just been against me on all my free days... :roll: