Citroen 2CV

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PSL184
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Citroen 2CV

Post by PSL184 »

Any Citroen experts out there?
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Citroen 2CV

Post by SteveClem »

Not me,but I don't half fancy an old tin snail. I want to drive one over the ploughed field with the basket of eggs in the back seat and see if the legend is right.
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Thanks, I looked there but it looks a bit deserted!
[sig]8426[/sig]

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I did run one for a while - brilliant wee car - but hopeless in winter with pathetic heater and difficult to keep it in a straight line on a slippy road - but maybe that was just mine where the wheels all seemed to point in slightly different directions ! :cry:
ImageImage
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

A friend of mine has one now Roy and he's asked me this.....
On the Bottom of the intake manifold there seems to be a Valve, or some sort of check ball, which while starting with the Choke Leaks a considerable amount (about a Liter per Starting session ) of Gasoline down the engine and all over the undercarriage of the Citroen! What's the purpose of that Valve(?) and can I Seal it up, and still have a functioning Engine?
Any ideas......?
[sig]8426[/sig]

dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

bmcecosse wrote:I did run one for a while - brilliant wee car - but hopeless in winter with pathetic heater and difficult to keep it in a straight line on a slippy road - but maybe that was just mine where the wheels all seemed to point in slightly different directions ! :cry:
Did you add the plastic cover over the radiator grill when it got cold? With that in snow it was still warm inside. Without it it was cold inside.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Sorry -I have no idea about your little valve - my engine ran trouble free -at full throttle most of the time too... And I didn't have the plastic screen - but did have it covered with a plastic bag. It was a very cold winter - and the door/window/roof gaps pretty much made it impossible to heat the cabin. And I had 20 mile commute at the time - over open moorland mostly with howling gales.... Much winter clothing was worn! But a great car in summer with the roof thrown open. And I have to say - nothing ever passed me on my commute runs -and no - they weren't following behind me in a long queue either.... :lol: I wish I had the car now - for a summer run-around, but the prices are just not realistic.
ImageImage
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

In the early 1980's my friends got his first car as a reward for passing his A levels and he was expecting a mini but his dad got him a red and black 2CV and he hated it until he realised the amount of fun it was, We went to car shows and festivals in it and it ended up being covered in stickers from all the events, i would have one in an instant.

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

This is a very shocking price for a 2cv £10,000 ? i am nothing to do with the sale just a bit amazed that it cost £3,432 new.
http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/ ... les-owners

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

No more shocking than the prices 'some' ask for Minors these days. And with the 2CV there is a certain exclusivity -whereas Minors are everywhere. I'll draw the line at saying which is the better car - but I would have a 2CV in a minute - just not at that price....... but I wouldn't pay that for a Minor either... :)
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I'm not an expert but did work on 2CVs for a Citreon main dealer back in the day.
Even went on a week long course at Citreon in Slough!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
crackers
Minor Friendly

Post by crackers »

MarkyB wrote:I'm not an expert but did work on 2CVs for a Citreon main dealer back in the day.
Even went on a week long course at Citreon in Slough!
Must've been a lot of repetition if the course took a whole week :roll: :lol:

Back in the late forties, my dad owned a Rugby - he claims he changed the head gasket and piston rings using a shifting wrench, a hammer and a screw driver.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

My only real problem was with the steering rack - an end kept coming loose inside the rack. Took it into work and tag welded the securing nut in place..... And yes -easy to work on with adj wrench and a hammer and screwdriver. But I did use tools since I had them... Easy to lower the suspension too -to good cornering advantage - since I didn't plan any ploughed fields/basket of eggs journeys... :lol: After I pretty much gave the car away to B -in Law - they used it to tour France without any problems at all !
ImageImage
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

I once rescued a 1986 'Plum & Custard' Dolly that had belonged to a girl student and been left standing on a driveway for several years, then advertised on a local supermarket notice board as free for spares or repair.

I thought it would make a fairly easy restoration project - with what at first appeared to be a bit of floorpan welding required.

I did this, then took it for an MOT, which it passed, but the clutch was slipping, so I changed that (in fact, swapped it over with a complete spare engine from another 1986 Dolly my mum briefly owned), used it for a few weeks, then while showing off to my brother driving it around an empty car park somewhat 'enthusiastically', the steering suddenly went all heavy.

I got out to find that the chassis had folded up by approx. 2" underneath the bulkhead, due to hidden rust - quite a common problem on these, I gather, particularly the Portugese built ones from the early 1980s. :o

It took quite a bit of welding later before it was useable again, then I got shot of it quick! :lol:
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)