Post referendum malarkey

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Post referendum malarkey

Post by POMMReg »

To be fair, not much stuff made in Britain to buy.

Like "Remain" or "Leave",we only have a choice of "bad" or "worse" when we vote anyway, how can that be "democratic" - honestly believe a new dawn of mankind will occur now we're out?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Monty-4 »

bmcecosse wrote:I'm not happy with last week's Lotto draw - I didn't win. I want it run again so I can win this time round, and I didn't even enter last week... Sounds silly, but It's the same argument isn't it ?? All very well to say 48/51 % is not a good enough result - but it was 1.25 Million people who swung the balance - that sounds a lot better doesn't it. The result is BINDING - we are OUT of the EU - and thank goodness for that! Buy British and Holiday in Britain !!
It's not the same argument at all, it's common in political systems for important decisions to require super majorities rather than simple majorities and both having a plan and not peddling lies might be a decent idea in future. Enjoy buying from an economically and culturally impoverished Britain, I'm hope getting to feel proud of an abstract concept makes up for it.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

The sources of Information I give links to are european and thus are issued in many languages. I tend to read the German Version and hence the link, but by clicking the appropriate box, it is also available in English.
Switzerland, like UK is a sort of mini-EU with differering peoples and Areas, even different laws between cantons. It has 3 main written languages and 5 spoken ones. The Areas seem to be appropriately divided by a road tunnel, I have observed.

A word on Democracy - a favourite critisism of the EU System. The main Affront seems to Focus on the 28 Commissioners who are appointed, one by each member state. Until he resigned Lord Hill was the British one, an expert on Banking and finance. He was nominated by the (democratically elected )British Government and approved by the (democratically elected) Euro parliament after presenting himself for scrutiny. One of the reasons he is there without being voted in is because he does not represent his own Country but takes an oath to uphold the laws and values of the EU constitution, not the interest of his country. This goes for all the other 27 commissioners, experts in their own field.
The System operates in the same way as the appointement of Police commissioners or even the chairman of the Bank of England, or Euro Central Bank. None are democratically elected - they operate however within laws laid down by deomocratic principals.

Others may advise where they feel democratic principals are being eroded - I am no expert, I just do a Little research.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

What part of---- it's been voted that we leave the Eu, don't some people understand ? :roll:

amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

I don't know Les. It was a fair vote, a fair outcome but there seem to be a lot of sore losers out there :roll: :roll: :roll:

john newton
Minor Friendly

Post by john newton »

it is about time everybody should look up bilderbergers, who they are and what they pretend to say they are doing? very very intresting when you look at them in depth, comparetheir program to that of the e./u. same. incidently found nation wide lots of teddys and dummies.. re john
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I made this comment the week after the vote - I have a feeling this whole thing may have been cooked up to deal a death blow to Euro scepticism and UKIP. If Remain had won, that would have achieved it for at least a generation but now, if they "Allow" chaos to unravel in the markets, then decide to not ratify the referendum result, the markets and £ will soar and DC will be the hero of the hour. The leave vote was not so decisive to result in civil unrest if Parliament doesn't ratify the result and I think if they had another vote this Thursday, remain would win it. Euro Scepticsim (Boris Johnson) & UKIP will be finished, under the epitaph "Remember 2016". A reporter said of David Cameron, that he was a lucky politician and that his luck ran out last Friday. I wonder? It's a dirty old business.

A few weeks on and I still feel it may all have been a big political manoeuvre but the politicians certainly seem to have made a meal out of it. Both main parties seem to be engaged in fractious infighting. From the view of the outside world, it must look as through the British were indecisive, now they're not sure.

I still think we could be better off leaving but I'm not sure the country is sufficiently united to take advantage of such opportunities (Very few of which were mentioned by the leave side anyway) and I am sadly of the opinion, that stay or leave, we are still going down the pan.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

My earlier post re re-running last week's Lottery is EXACTLY the same - if you don't buy a ticket you can't hope to win, and if you don't vote in a referendum - again you can't hope to 'win' !! Simples!! The WILL of the people who took the trouble to vote is that we LEAVE. Too late now for the ones who didn't bother to vote to complain .... The Will of the people must be observed - the UK people voted to LEAVE, and LEAVE we will. Similarly - in an earlier referendum the Scottish people who bothered to vote - voted to STAY as a United Kingdom with England/Wales and N Ireland. And STAY we will. Again - it's too late to re-run the Lottery for those who didn't bother to enter - or just don't like the result. If everyone would just get on and concentrate on making Britain GREAT again - we would all benefit I'm sure. As for 'lies' - no one told lies -they were all guessing. The Markets were going to collapse."...errrr....since the Ref my Pension Fund has gone UP almost 10% after being flatlined for well over a year..... So that was a load of wrong guesses too !! And who cares if house prices are falling - if you have a house it doesn't matter (unless you are stupidly over mortgaged) and people wanting on the housing ladder will certainly be glad to see prices fall. Pound falling ? So - all that crap coming in from China will cost a bit more - easy - don't buy it ! BUY BRITISH !!! And the reduced Pound will mean other countries find our produce less expensive for them - so they will buy more ! Oil will go up in price . Thankfully we have plenty within the UK - so no need to import - just BUY BRITISH !! The net cost to the UK of EU membership is approx £8.5 Billion per year. So let's just spend that on our NHS/Education/Police rather than stupidly high salaries and expenses for MEPs.... :D
ImageImage
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

So - all that crap coming in from China will cost a bit more - easy - don't buy it ! BUY BRITISH !!!
I agree (Sadly I didn't hear much of this sort of thing from the leave campaign) but I think the me me me culture will mean the bargain hunters will still buy the imports. Whilst I supported those who marched in support of the steel industry, how many did so whilst wearing Chinese cloths or Pakistani made clothing? It seems they were only concerned about so called globalisation, when it affected them. What goes around comes around and united we could stand but divided we will fall.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

All in all not much will change for me with stay or leave, If the new PM is for a fair UK maybe she will get rid of George Osbournes tax on landlords which is crazy to say the least. If you do not know the one i mean it is taxing landlords more each year over the next few years till it is at a point where you will be forced to make no money and sell up, unless the house your renting has no mortgage, this is so people who are renting can buy a house they cannot afford with the money from a job they do not have. Rant over.

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

How would "buying British" help other than line shareholders pockets, profit over investment?

Successive governments have decimated state owned institutions, unless nationalisation is restored, "buying British" is pointless!

I'm gonna be placed on Roy's naughty step.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Crikey Chris! You sound a bit grumpy about all this..I'll turn out fine.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

POMMReg wrote:How would "buying British" help other than line shareholders pockets, profit over investment?

Successive governments have decimated state owned institutions, unless nationalisation is restored, "buying British" is pointless!

I'm gonna be placed on Roy's naughty step.
I've often felt we need another Atlee, as repairing the damage of the last 35+ years is going to be an immense task and no spiv investor will be in it for that long a term.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Buying British will provide employment for British people!!! Who will then have cash to spend on more British made goods etc etc Have to laugh today to see them all rushing to lick May's shoes, and beg for a Cabinet place. She can decide to have them sniping at her in Cabinet - or back stabbing from the back benches.... Not a job I would fancy at all...... but I'm sure she will make a good job of it given time to heal some of the wounds inflicted over the last few weeks. And I for one hope she puts Sturgemoan very firmly back in her place !
ImageImage
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

The ability to now truly 'Buy British' has rapidly declined, and has been more and more difficult to acheive particularly since the 1950's. The vast majority of originally famous 'British' well known named industrial manufacturing companies are now owned and run from other countries. We have become a country that in the majority now work for overseas bosses. Buying British by default for most now means industrial products that are assembled manufactured in this country owned by overseas companies. At least that bit might continue to maintain our skilled industrial manufacturing British workforce with a bit of luck.

Tyres being just one example from dozens and dozens of many other products - Where could you now easily buy a tyre that is British made by a British owned company ? (even Avon have an American parent company)
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

What is British? Is the Deutsche Bank now British because its chairman is English?

Is the steel component with "Made in England" stamped on it British? The Basic sttel probably emanates from China and if it does not, then the Ore Comes from Sweden, the coal for smelting likely from Australia and the machine which does it was "made in Germany". On top of that the bloke actually making it could be Polish, it is then financed by an American Investor. His Manager is probably British though.

The concept of buying british made products on a large scale may have been true up to WWII but not any more. Whether you like it or not, we live in a globilised world, where only the cheapest counts.

There is no mass produced clothing industry in Europe any more - we are far too expensive in comparison, so you do other things. Service industries, financiing, insurance for example - all of which are seriouosly under threat due to Brexit.

It may work out though, let us hope so. Pity though. before you did not have to hope, it was so.
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Nickol wrote:What is British? Is the Deutsche Bank now British because its chairman is English?

Is the steel component with "Made in England" stamped on it British? The Basic sttel probably emanates from China and if it does not, then the Ore Comes from Sweden, the coal for smelting likely from Australia and the machine which does it was "made in Germany". On top of that the bloke actually making it could be Polish, it is then financed by an American Investor. His Manager is probably British though.

The concept of buying british made products on a large scale may have been true up to WWII but not any more. Whether you like it or not, we live in a globilised world, where only the cheapest counts.

There is no mass produced clothing industry in Europe any more - we are far too expensive in comparison, so you do other things. Service industries, financiing, insurance for example - all of which are seriouosly under threat due to Brexit.

It may work out though, let us hope so. Pity though. before you did not have to hope, it was so.
Sounds like you have been following the doctrine of the shadowy bilderberg group with their stealthy 'world order' strategy, Nickol.

If anyone on here seriously wants to understand why the 'leave' referendum result was a shock to the world, google 'bilderberg group' and 'bilderberg conspiracies', and look at their strategy and aims to rule this global shift of power, and why the EU is as it is. Carefully check out the annual lists of people who attend their annual closed 'no minutes' meeting, with targeted invited 'guests' only. See names you know from the UK banks, politics, businesses and society, like Osbourne, Blair, Brown, King, plus many others worldwide, like Obama, Merkel, Kissenger, Clinton, etc, etc.

Why were the OTT remainers as extreme as they were, and why did so may powerful figures come trundling into the UK pronouncing doom and gloom if we voted out? Google this and you will understand a little more.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

first of all I do not Google - that is US American and therefore suspect.

use www.ixquick.de ...or com if it exists.

Bilderberg? Never heard of it before. But it appears that People inside GB/UK or whatever believe they are important to the world :lol:
john newton
Minor Friendly

Post by john newton »

dear busguy, iwas thinking i was alone in knowing about bilderbergers , very dangerous mob that collectively tell goverments what to do. last time looking farage and trump were not in the club. nickol do you have a german site to explore bilderbergers. re,john.
john newton
Minor Friendly

Post by john newton »

just been looking at leccy conv,s on vehicles , its happening... how long will we be able to buy petrol.derv? any M.P.s watching. p.s. it was on u.tube. re john