Suffolk Colt

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Suffolk Colt

Post by James k »

Hi,
I'm picking up a Suffolk Super Colt lawnmower tomorrow. I'm planning on completely stripping it down and rebuilding it. New gaskets, rings, lap the valves, sharpen the blades, repaint everything etc. Depending on how well it goes though, I may wait until it's done its job for the summer! I was just wondering if anyone on here had done the same. It seems like something of a minor-related job :)

James
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Suffolk Colt

Post by bmcecosse »

Watch the James May 'The Re-assembler' on this very subject - not sure if it's a Colt - but interesting programme anyway!
ImageImage
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

It certainly is the Colt Roy. It's what gave me the idea to buy one! :D
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

I may have a spare manual for a Colt, will have a look today for you. They are like a minor, easy to work on and a reliable machine.
After sharpening the blade on a flat paving slab on the patio my wife used to laugh at me for setting the blade with a sheet of paper and a steel rule for the cut height :D
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

i've a Suffolk Super Colt! 8) :D
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I picked up the mower last Saturday and it came with a manual and a full set of gaskets :) I mowed the lawn with it and although it ran, it did cut out occasionally and wouldn't idle smoothly so it had to be rebuilt!

I finished the engine on Wednesday. I disassembled it, cleaned and decoked everything fully, repainted it, rebuilt the carb, honed the bore and fitted new rings, lapped in the valves and put it all back together with new gaskets. It's now running better than it was and I know that the engine itself is in top condition.

It's still not right though, it's hunting at idle, doesn't rev smoothly and cuts out occasionally. I've identified one problem as a flooding carburettor so I need to order a new float. I did notice that the needle was slightly bent but I decided to test it first before replacing it. I haven't had a good look at the ignition system yet either. Once I've sorted those bit out the engine should run perfectly (fingers crossed) and I can move onto refurbishing the rest of it :)

here are some pictures of the mower and the rebuild.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

if you get stuck... you can always test it on my lawn :lol: :lol: :lol: