Modern vehicle cam belts...

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Modern vehicle cam belts...

Post by olderisbetter »

This weekend we decided to change the cam belt and timing belt on our VW lt 35 van, it has a 2.5 tdi engine and the number of parts removed was amazing, it took two of us 8 hours, we have never done one before and we did go safe and slow but it makes messing with the morris feel very easy, modern cars :roll:

M25VAN
Minor Addict

Re: Modern vehicle cam belts...

Post by M25VAN »

Credit to you, that's not a job I would be brave enough to attempt. :(
I did notice on a 55 plate Polo service record that a cam belt change had never been done. When queried was told it had a chain not a belt. Wonder if chains are coming back?
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

The toyota yaris 3 cylinder i used to have had a chain engine and i think it maybe the same engine as a polo and citreon/peugeot so i think a few cars still use them, and we did the cambelts very slow using timing pegs and a book, the belts and water pump cost £130 from a local parts place and luckily they rented out the timing kit for £20 over the weekend, so at about £150 against the £400 to £800 i was quoted it is a good saving, and maybe its my paranoid side but i always think that you never know what actually gets fitted or put back neatly at a garage, while we had it appart i cleaned out all the awkward spaces in the wings and added some waxoyl, to all the hard to reach sections.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You have the benefit of great access there too - not struggling down the inside wing of a E-W fitted engine.
ImageImage
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Roy there is plenty of access but you have to remove the front and half the lower dash board, but yes it save knuckles and a few bad words.

morris van
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by morris van »

I used to have a x reg 2000 VW Golf which I was an ex demonstrator and was only a few months and I had it serviced and when it was in for a routine service and it had only done 35000 miles and 3 years old I asked when should the cam belt be changed they said 60000 miles so I thought I will get done at 55000 to be safe. A week after the service it snapped and went to the main dealers where it was serviced they said no 40000 miles and we say 60000 so they snap and we get the work. It went for scrap when it was five years old because it was a money pit and it went absolutely rotten underneath. :x

amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

It doesn’t matter what car or what the belts are made of, a max of 30,000 miles before changing them is the norm even if the manufacturer says otherwise.

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I think we were told 4 years or 80,000 miles which ever come first, but we will do it around 40,000 or every 5 years that will be a good time to check the water pump which can be a fail point, but yes if they snap its normally a huge cost.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Good thing about a diesel (besides the economy ... 60 mpg in my Dacia) - is that the engine revs so slowly - mine rarely goes above 2000 revs - so belts etc last very much longer.
ImageImage
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Be careful of the time/deterioration factor though, it's expensive if you get it wrong.

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

My fiesta is 10 years or 100k. Was told it was done at 103k and service book has a stamp that says major service at this date, but I have no other proof. Iv had the cover off and it looks ok. Certainly not worth me replacing the belt unless it starts to break up. Il just get another car or engine if it goes but its very likely it has been replaced. If the car was worth £400-500+ I would change if but as it's only worth £100 what's the point? Unless it's due for a change in the next service. Still change the oil at 6k tho. Haven't even checked the belt on my £40 fiesta, tho I only use it once a month off road. Love bangernomics motoring.[frame]Image[/frame]
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

"bangernomics" :D , Lets see if we can get that word into the distionary by using it more, and i have friends that love buying a car for under £500 to see how long they can use it, you get some real bargains but i curse the stupid car tax rule where you have to surrender the tax when selling a car.

morris van
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by morris van »

My 2008 Focus is booked in to have a new belt etc next week. Mine should be replaced at 10 years old or 100000 miles which ever comes first. Mine has done 82000 so I am playing safe.
Last edited by morris van on Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

The cambelt on mk '53 plate focus is a 15 minute job.

The cambelt on my mid 90's transit is a 1.5 hour job at the road side (or 2 hours if the belt failed, the rods need straightening and the tappets doing).

Whereas the auxillary belt on my sisters X reg KA took 3 gours because the bumper and headlight needed to come off and thw radiator taken off its mounts to get clearance to fit it!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics