Bangernomics.

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Bangernomics.

Post by les »

Maybe the auctioneer asked for offers on an old car and the buyer heard it as old cart :D
I'd quite like another allegro.

greendefender123
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by greendefender123 »

No one bid on it, he asked what the reserve was and under pressure said he'd have it. Atleast iv got him out of trouble tho. Its really not like him atall. Hes got alot on at the moment tho.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Allegro, I thought there was something funny about you Les :lol: :lol: :lol:
I fancy a Wolseley 1500 or a Hillman Minx myself.

Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

I have been doing this for years, one of the best was the virtually mint 25 quid metro, a px 'throwaway' from a car dealer mate, it went round several of us for about 5 years, I owned it at least twice.
It was finally killed by being hit by a, you guessed it, a BMW
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Allegro, much misunderstood. I think the main reason is once the name got twisted to all aggro, people didn't want to stand alone and disagree! -----but maybe you're right about me Alan !!! :D I had two of the 1300 estate version.

Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

The first big job I did on a car was on an Allegro, the headmaster at school owned it and 3 of us who were the keen types in the engineering/metalwork dept were tasked with doing a clutch change, we were discreetly supervised, but pretty much left to get on with it, and were very proud to have it up and running in good order.
You can't imagine them letting 14 year old kids do anything like that nowadays..!
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Lurch, i think hands on experience is exactly what 14 year olds should be given the chance of doing at school, It is not for all school kids but niether is maths or french, A good all round education prepares you better for life, I would have rather done a mechanics or DIY class in place of french which i have never used, but c'est la vie. :roll:

Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

Totally agree, but I doubt today's kids would be allowed near anything they might cut their little fingers on !
Don't think many of them want to get their hands dirty either :roll:
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

To be honest i meet many people into cars and many have kids that are interested classic cars such as the mini, minor, beetle and also the less common, I think they would have great fun with a few spanners and a tin of wd40 and if their hands get dirty swarfega is a quick fix, I used to love taking things appart as a kid and putting it all back together and looking at the bits i had left over :oops:

Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

Most of the kids I see are solely interested in exercising their thumbs on some stupid little computer or text thing.
I tried to show the son of a mate how to fix a bike tyre puncture recently, he viewed the process with a 'yeah whatever' disdain, eager to get back to his i thingy,
Glad that some idiot like me was fixing it for him :roll:
Olderisbetter, love your pooch by the way!
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I try and encourage any younger people to have a go all round, computers have there place but will eat your brain if you do not do something else aswell, And thanks about the pooch comment, He was the family rotty we lost in 2014 at less than 4 years old to a rare condition, I have never really got over it, sadly you cannot control nature and time.

Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

I think most of their brains have been eaten already, I've given up trying to teach 'yoofs' anything useful I'm afraid.
Such a shame about the rotty, I've known a few and they're always so nice as people if you see what I mean.
Incredibly enough a chap I know had one that lived to be 18 ! I kid you not, still it's all random I guess.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

18 is good for any dog, my poor lad had a rare auto immune condition called MMM, He was a big lad but amazingly gentle as he was around other dogs and different people from an early age, and yes i know what you mean. not to hi jack the topic but heres a pic of logan with a "stick" he picked up, he does have a tail its just tucked behind him.

Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

18 was amazing for a big dog, if it wasn't a chap I know well who's dog it was I wouldn't have believed him tbh!
Great pic of your boy, there should perhaps be a special thread 'show us your dogs'[frame]Image[/frame]
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Well he looks a nice chap driving or guarding that morris, and a thread to dogs or dogs in cars might be nice.

samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

olderisbetter wrote:18 is good for any dog, my poor lad had a rare auto immune condition called MMM, He was a big lad but amazingly gentle as he was around other dogs and different people from an early age, and yes i know what you mean. not to hi jack the topic but heres a pic of logan with a "stick" he picked up, he does have a tail its just tucked behind him.
what a great photo .... he looks a grand dog. you must have been very proud to have
owned him ....