Long Range Classics

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Long Range Classics

Post by ManyMinors »

bmcecosse wrote:Remember to factor in ROAD TAX on some of the cars suggested (and it's far from cheap on some of the cars suggested)
Surely, prior to 2001, road tax cost is the same for ANY car with an engine larger than 1500cc?

Therefore the road tax on an MX-5 is exactly the same as a large Mercedes - or a Range Rover for that matter?

Obviously a car which is tax exempt has an advantage here but this is usually reflected in the asking price of course!
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Yep £180 a year over 1500cc
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

You're a few years out of date Panky. For cars registered prior to 2001, the cost of 12months road tax is £145 for an engine size of 1549cc or smaller and £235.00 for any larger engine.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Apologies, I looked at the DVLA site a couple of weeks ago and £180 was quoted on there. Must have been an out of date page I visited :-?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I must say that there is such a huge range of road tax prices for more recent cars that it is impossible for anyone to keep it in their heads :-?

Anyone thinking about purchasing a car built from 2001 onwards certainly needs to check the tax cost first but prior to that it is simple.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The advantage of the MX5 is you can pop the hood down and enjoy the sun! And decent economy if driven reasonably....
ImageImage
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

ManyMinors wrote:I must say that there is such a huge range of road tax prices for more recent cars that it is impossible for anyone to keep it in their heads :-?

Anyone thinking about purchasing a car built from 2001 onwards certainly needs to check the tax cost first but prior to that it is simple.
I have a feeling there may be plans to simplify things. In lots of ways (Historic tax exemption aside!!), road tax on fuel would be simplest but could you trust the powers that be to put enough on, so that 10000 miles a year, in an "Average" car, cost say £200 more?
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

bmcecosse wrote:The advantage of the MX5 is you can pop the hood down and enjoy the sun! And decent economy if driven reasonably....
The early 90s MX5 - before the styling got 'mean' - is rather nice and perhaps the cheapest of all the options. Other than that I have a shortlist of the Triumphs, Wolseleys, Rileys and Rovers. Hopefully I can have a poke around some of these at the next car show I attend.

Just need to offload the bloody Figaro...
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

Why has no-one mentioned the P5?

Or the P5B which would get you the big woofly V8...? :P

I'd agree with the idea of an X300, because they seem to go for chips now, almost to the extent that when it breaks, you'd throw it away. Should be less trouble than an XJ6, too, although they still cut a dash when they hurtle down the M40 in the outside lane. Quite small and nimble by modern standards, too.

Or, obviously, the simple choice of a diesel VW, a Golf or Passat, or the unloved (and unlovely) Bora. They have their quirks and foibles but seem to go on for ever.

But those aren't interesting. A P5 is interesting. :lol: Go on, you know you want to...
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Gareth wrote:Why has no-one mentioned the P5?
Or the P5B which would get you the big woofly V8...? :P A P5 is interesting. :lol: Go on, you know you want to...
I agree that these are lovely cars but our friend seemed to be looking for a Morris Minor replacement to regularly drive 800mile journeys and I for one, certainly couldn't contemplate the cost of running one :o

These cars are not cheap to buy in good condition - and you wouldn't want one that wasn't in good condition - and the running costs are HIGH!
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Some progress with this.

We've sold impractical car #2 so have some funds for solving this particular problem. I've seen Triumph 2000's going for affordable money but I'm also kind of tempted to double down on the minor - ford 5-speed box etc.

Either way I'm going to be having a good time, I think!
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Being as all the stuff is available off the shelf, I think that route could be less hassle. I think disc brakes are also a must and I also like the anti tramp bars for the rear axle.

Going a lot further and perhaps an indulgence, is a Quaife torque biasing diff. Whilst it's a competition part, it improves traction in bad weather. My MG Midget has one but when I first owned it, I used the car regularly and in the snow, traction wasn't good (And if you were forced to stop, it could be hard to get going). When I developed the Midget a bit (After it had been retired from regular use), the standard diff was too weak and so I fitted a Quaife. Not long before I had the Traveller, I happened to go out in the snow in the Midget (Not something i would normally do) and the difference was incredible, so much so, that when I got the Traveller, I fitted a Quaife diff to it.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Going slightly off topic here....

What are people's thoughts/experiences driving on ice with vehicle equipped with ABS?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I think ABS stops doing its thing when all the wheels lock up as it assumes the car has stopped moving :o

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

The way ABS works is by measuring wheel deceleration, and if above a certain threshold releasing the brakes for an instant. Otherwise you'd never be able to stop completely when going downhill!

Haven't tried ice specifically but on low traction surfaces ABS brakes work very well but you need to know how to drive with them. If one wheel has very low traction the pump will start pulsing and what you need to do then is brake harder to transfer more pressure to the other wheels.

I've tried (on an empty parking lot) full ABS braking in the rain from 50 MPH without touching the steering wheel and the car stayed straight as an arrow, no other driver aids besides ABS.
Gabriel
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Doesn't ABS simulate what we used to call cadence braking back in the days when cars relied on the driver?
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

From experience, ABS is a great help in the wet, once you get used to the brake pedal 'kicking back' at you. In snow, ABS and traction control are about as good as drum brakes and crossplies.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

My MG Car Club magazine, Safety Fast, arrived yesterday and this advert reminded me of this thread. That Volvo sounds interesting.[frame]Image[/frame]
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

P5 is a lovely car but perhaps a bit too good for such work? My own choice would be something from the Mercedes-Benz W123 range.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Picked up a cheap Rover P6 2000TC. Don't really like it. Anybody want a cheap Rover P6 2000TC? :D