Carbural fuel treatment, Old garage equipment

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Carbural fuel treatment, Old garage equipment

Post by olderisbetter »

Thats some fancy oil, i will be looking at getting my morris smelling like an old motor bike, so a table spoon of Castrol 'R' in the tank should do it then?

LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

Re your original question concerning the applicator gun. Surely some others remember these ?
Particularly through the 60's similar idea ones were commonly to be seen on show at all filling station forcourts (very often Redex) they were a standard feature and designed mainly for petrol fourcourt use. Filling stations still had traditional attendant service and you had the option of the attendant adding the appropriate number of 'shots' of upper cylinder lubricant to match the number of gallons of petrol bought at the time. The penny or two pence 'per shot' was added to your bill.
The guns were mostly on free loan to the retailer as part of the supply contract for the filling station to sell that particular make of petrol additive.
Wonder if any were nicked, though with the attendend on duty and the fact that we were all honest in those days probably hardly any! :o
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

Working for the Coal Board in Northumberland,in the '70's, the local village garage had the contract to repair and service all the NCB landrovers. Part of the deal seemed to be that all the NCB staff could take their cars in for a free redex shot from the 'gun' as required.
Most of us then bought our petrol there,so it was good business for them,but with hindsight (and by modern standards) it could be viewed as corrupt.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

SteveClem, I think by modern standards a shot of redex is void when you see what goes on, I wonder how many shots of redex is needed in Phillip Greens boat...

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

It just felt a bit naughty at the time. But as mentioned before,we were all very honest in those days!
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I remember the yellow ones that you could get two stroke oil for my scooter out of.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Well now,scooters! That's a blast from the past. I used to drive mine quite slowly and push my bicycle mounted girlfriend back home (arm behind her back). Happy days.