Smart Phones at the wheel still today!!!

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Smart Phones at the wheel still today!!!

Post by LobbyLudd »

olderisbetter wrote:Sat nav, pizza boxes...Luxury..i remember being in a MK2 cortine 1600E with so much added fur it left a very snall view and once the AA map was unfolded the driver had to peer over it, and you try telling the kids of taday that....ok i was going for a Monty Python moment :roll:
What, no furry dice, they seem to be missing !! :D
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

I used to fly the Boeing 767, one handed (other on throttles), at night, in 75metres visibility, at 150kts, in a crosswind after a 14 hour day whilst carrying on a conversation with ATC and the bloke what was next to me. I'd never use a phone whilst driving, though. It is all about the distance between you and the nearest Numpty. 6 miles in an airliner, 6 inches from the Numpty in the next lane on the road.
Cardiff, UK
Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

I must confess years ago to driving round drinking a bottle of chocolate milk in steering wheel hand , unfortunately someone pulled out in front of me, I had to take evasive action consequently hurling an arc of chocolate milk all over the windscreen, rendering it somewhat opaque... oops
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I've not flown in a 767, didn't realise how lucky I've been! :o

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

LobbyLudd wrote:
olderisbetter wrote:Sat nav, pizza boxes...Luxury..i remember being in a MK2 cortine 1600E with so much added fur it left a very snall view and once the AA map was unfolded the driver had to peer over it, and you try telling the kids of taday that....ok i was going for a Monty Python moment :roll:
What, no furry dice, they seem to be missing !! :D
The furry dice were there and he had a pair in the back window aswell, i can remember having many static shocks from the interior after touching the CB.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Anybody else remember the sudden shock of a toughened windscreen suddenly going completely opaque when hit by a stone?
There's a lot to be said for laminated glass.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

SteveClem wrote:Anybody else remember the sudden shock of a toughened windscreen suddenly going completely opaque when hit by a stone?
Only had it happen once and it was a wheel nut that ended up on the passenger seat, opaque windscreen with a big bang is very testing on the bladder.

RobbieJE
Minor Friendly

Post by RobbieJE »

SteveClem wrote:Anybody else remember the sudden shock of a toughened windscreen suddenly going completely opaque when hit by a stone?
It happened to me at the end of August, I have only been driving since mid February. I was in the right hand lane at an odd intersection on the A614, a lorry coming the other way flicked a stone up which hit the screen right in front of my face, so had to get all the way onto the verge on the left. It was on a slight bend as well and is a 50mph road. I was glad I had a warning triangle in the boot, but wished I had hazard lights as it was getting dark by the time the recovery truck found me. Although in the 3.5 hours I was waiting 5 people pulled over to see if I needed any help. Not a fun experience.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

I've still got a scar on my hand from punching out a hole in a windscreen when I was a kid. That was the advice at the time. Should have worn my string-backed driving gloves:)
Last edited by BrianHawley on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

SteveClem wrote:I reckon Audi drivers are the worst these days...always seems to be one on your back bumper and generally on the phone.
Wasn't "Pork sprung dork technik" their advertising slogan? Yes there is certainly a connection between Brattmobiles (BMWs) Audis (Even some aspiring VW drivers) and Panzer mentality......and just occasionally some of them can't take it when a "Old banger" (Their assumptions, not a fact) puts them in their place.

To the question at hand, in our smart A*se world, lots of people are so clever, that they can multitask......in other words, do lots of things at once, none of them properly. The reality if often that they are disorganised or trying to do too much. It is said that using a hand held phone, whilst driving, is more dangerous than being just over the drink drive limit (And know the safe limit is itself open to question). Since being caught over the limit attracts a ban, why doesn't using a hand held phone attract at least as much? As it is, the law is akin to a situation where a burglar gets a longer sentence than a murderer (I am not trying to compare those crimes, just to illustrate the lack of logic).

This is an interesting item, that shows how dangerous using a mobile can be - http://www.dailyliked.net/texting-driving-test/ . As to hands free, the advice is that you are still better advised to pull in and stop, since it represents a distraction. However it's not illegal and I would ask is it any different from talking to a passenger? It must depend on circumstances. As a child, my mother used to drive myself and my grandmother to Richmond (Surrey), to visit family. As we approached the Chiswick flyover, she would ask for quiet in the car, so she could concentrate fully on where we were going. I think that sums it up. If ever I need to concentrate like that, I even switch off the radio.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If wrong doing was done away with, how many jobs would disappear?

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Most politicians?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Armed forces, police, the courts, probably half the jobs in the world.