Teach an old cat new tricks.

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Teach an old cat new tricks.

Post by Blaketon »

An elderly cat (He's been passing through for years, so he's not a kitten) had been spending more & more time at the bike shop I run, which happens to adjoin my parents' house. After making numerous enquiries, it appeared that he was homeless (Though we had seen collars on him in the past). With Winter approaching, we felt we couldn't leave him out and so he has moved in.

The last cat, Meg, was also a stray but she arrived as a kitten. We never needed to teach Meg the litter tray and in the early days, she would even come in from outside, use the tray and go back out!! I even saw her squatting down over a drain. Meg died in 2007 but her stuff was still in the attic, including the litter tray. The "New" cat doesn't seem to know what it is. Does anyone know how we can go about communicating to him the purpose of the litter tray? He sleeps in the shop (Tiled floor) and we ensure he goes out a bit before evening and in two months we've had only two "Accidents" (Both in the same place) but the tray was untouched. He's a lovely cat, with a nice nature and we want him to have comfortable twilight years. He likes MGB seats...or at least the one on my father's car creeper trolley!!

[frame]Image[/frame]
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Teach an old cat new tricks.

Post by les »

First of all, thanks for your kindness. I suppose twice in two months isn't bad but I expect that is because you let him out regularly. To get him to use the box now he's grown might be a little tricky. Can you put the tray where he wet the last couple of times, all was that in the middle of the dining room?!! There are different types of cat litter, maybe some are more appealing to him! Perhaps you could stand him in it now and then, so he gets the feel of it, there may be some connection.
If you don't get any other suggestions you could phone Cat Protection they may help. Good luck and keep at it! :D

amgrave
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by amgrave »

Well done for giving it a home. The usual way to train them is to place a litter tray with garden dirt in it where he has had his little accidents. Near it place a second one with newspaper in the bottom, just a couple of flat sheets will do then keep your fingers crossed :wink:

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Do vets do catheters? Foolproof in humans.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

catheters are not fool proof in humans , my mother had one this year guess who cleaned up the mess , :evil: , putting that to one side , well done for giving the moggy a home , the cat will use it naturally, so dont worry , but if you let it out regually it probally wont use it .
[sig]5641[/sig]
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

SteveClem wrote:Do vets do catheters? Foolproof in humans.
I'm afraid his accidents were the other way......perhaps a nappy. Anyway he was curled up in his box when I left but I'll be going in tomorrow. I'll stay over tomorrow night, as he likes to sit on my lap (Meg was like that) and I don't think ten miles in my saddle bag would suit him.
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Why have you posted this is "off topic"? He is a Moggie after all!

I have found dry potting compost is useful to teach older cats how to use a tray. then when he gets the hang of it mix it 50/50 with litter.

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Thanks for the advice. We'll try the suggestions and I'll post the results. As I type this, he's on my lap, sat much like a bird on a nest.
Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

Good man for rescuing him ! We've got one that was one of a litter born under a car at my friend's breaker's yard, he looks just like the pic of your one!
With the breaker's yard moggies, we trapped the lot of 'em ,including the mum, and all are now in good homes.
Trapping them was a test of ingenuity, we made up a wire 'drop' trap in the end as the posh thing we borrowed from the cat rescue lady, they wouldn't go near !
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Cats are one hundred steps ahead of us. I reckon if Meg could have been in MI6, no enemy would ever have got away with anything!!! In the early days, my parents were trying to get Meg to come in one cold January night (I was at my place). My father was outside, out of sight of the kitchen door, with a piece of string tied to the handle. The idea was that once Meg was inside, my mother would give a signal and my father would pull the door shut. It took two hours, as each time she got close, she would look to the corner where my father was a pull back. I'm sure she could see round corners and through walls!!! She was a bit of a wind up merchant!! This is Meg.

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

The one we have now seems a bit more laid back but he's no fool (He recently squared up to a Staffordshire Bull Terrier but only from behind a five bar gate). As long as he has a bed, a lap to sit on and food, he's happy. We don't know what his name is, though my mother reckons he has reacted to Tibby. We knew a rather eccentric dentist, who used to refer to his John Player Special cigarettes as black jobs and at one time we would refer to the cat as Black Job or BJ.....but I don't think we can call him that.....so I suppose Tibby it is. Perhaps he has been chipped? I don't know what to look for but I haven't felt anything on his neck. If so, I suppose only a vet could tell that and read it.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

It's very interesting,the differences and similarities between cats and dogs. Both wonderful companions but people fall into 4 basic categories....love both,love cats,love dogs, hate both. People in the last category are probably not much fun.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Over the past 13 years we have had, or rather 7 cats have had us. Five are buried in the garden. Pumuckl had a heart condition, Gingy was run over, Blondie just wasted away probably due to FIP disease, her sister Bruni had cancer and had to be put down, Maxi had a fit and just conked out.

All we have left now are Ghengy and Moritz , ca 5 years old.

A house is not a home without a cat [frame]Image[/frame]
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

A year or so ago, a black cat started to frequent the garden and after a while he was let him in for food. Months later he had a swollen paw so thought he should see a vet. The outcome of this move was to find the cat had a micro chip and to cut a long story short the owner was found. Big problem! The story emerged that the cat was being transported to Romania when he got away from the company doing this deed. He then found his way here. There was no choice but to let the owner collect him dispite stalling by saying he hasn't turned up lately, knowing this ploy couldn't last forever. When she arrived the young lady owner said she had wanted to send the cat to her family at home but said she won't now. I had my doubts then and still have. I phoned her a couple of times to see how thing were but not for ages now, I don't want to be told he's in Romania. After a lucky escape it almost felt like the cat deserved to find a good home. I'm still wondering about him. I wished his paw was left to heal by itself, when I heard all this, or at least be told the owner lived down the road. Romania, who'd do a thing like that to an animal.

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

SteveClem wrote:It's very interesting,the differences and similarities between cats and dogs. Both wonderful companions but people fall into 4 basic categories....love both,love cats,love dogs, hate both. People in the last category are probably not much fun.
The new cat seems to hate dogs, whilst Meg hated both!!!
Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

Our black ,ex feral one loves both, the fluffy blonde one is actually a small pooch![frame]Image[/frame]
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

At last, a proper subject for discussion on a moggie site :wink:
Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

Indeed ! ....Though it's a very slippery slope when we all start posting Cat pictures!!!
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Animals give so much and ask for so little in return..
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Great to see you giving a stray cat a home, a few accidents may be due to age but having a friend who rehomes them its sometimes just a case of years of living stray or not having a good owner, i would agree the potting compost and later a mix to get the cat use to it is a good idea, I love cats but sadly i have a real allergy to them or i would have one, animals don't ask for much really and after nearly three years without a dog i have had another that was in need of a new home desperatly, I think my stress is already lower and i feel much happier.

Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

Great to see you've given a home to another pooch in need olderisbetter!
There were a couple over our way that I was very tempted by but as we already have 3, and 2 moggies( cats that is) I had to exercise restraint,
now when I retire somewhere with a bit of space....