Wider car parking spaces

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Wider car parking spaces

Post by SteveClem »

Much debate about this today on the BBC.
Not a big problem if you drive a minor. Even less with an A30.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Re: Wider car parking spaces

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It's because cars have become so vulgar and overweight. Seems everybody wants an SUV.
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

No bother with a pre war Austin Seven or my Panda. I remember some years ago going on an Austin Seven club holiday to the Cotswolds about 10 cars took place. We went to a council car park in Cirencester which only had a few spaces left but we managed to get two Austin Sevens in one bay inside the designated lines both cars paid the correct amount and the tickets were plainly displayed. Image our surprise when returning to the car park we had been issued with parking fines even though the council had received double the payment for one parking bay. We have never returned.
[img]jpg[/img]
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

See my thread on cars getting bigger. How long will it take them to catch on, that spaces are now too small....or that cars are too big.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Apparently car park widths are all EU size :evil: Trabant size
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote:It's because cars have become so vulgar and overweight.
As have many of their drivers! :-?
Johnny
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Johnny »

A few years back I visited the Lidl in Barking. There was a space, just. The car on either side was parked over the line. So I lined it up, got out and locked the doors, pushed it into the space with about 6 inches each side. Climbed through the back doors of the Trav and put the hand brake on. I've got a pic somewhere but it was funny to see one of the guys trying to get back into his car a bit later on! I eventually ended up getting it out the same way but in reverse.
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Done similar with my Series 1 Land Rover with the roof off. Drive into bay, stand up and walk off the back. Who needs door space... :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

Until some frustrated neanderthal crashes his eurobox door into your prized Morris Minor. `i always try and park in an end space so that i a) have more room between me and the next car and b) only one possibility of some careless cretin scratching my paintwork jm
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, doubtless many scratches/dents etc. are sustained in supermarket carparks - and the way people fly onto roundabouts these days! 'Nuff said!
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Came out of Morrisons today and the lovely lady who had just parked next to my A30 was holding her scarf between her door and my car to 'prevent any damage '
Some people just restore your faith in human nature.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Two points, I agree entirely with parking as far away from other car park users as possible, whenever possible, for the reasons stated in the previous posts.
Secondly, I hope 'burnham28' never paid Cirencester council their (offensive) fine.
I'd have posted it back to them (second class mind) telling them where they could stick their parking ticket!! :evil:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

After a lot of correspondence between our club and cirencester council they grudgingly waived the fine but with bad grace and they said if we ever did it again the fine would stand. I have never been back to Cirencester.
[img]jpg[/img]
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I used to live in Cirencester, the parking situation is one of the biggest problems with the town and it drives away businesses because people can't get into it!

As far as I'm concerned classics should get free parking as well as tax, we make the place look pretty! :D
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.