Ramipril cough

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Ramipril cough

Post by olderisbetter »

Is anyone else using Ramipril, It is a ACE inhibitor used for blood pressure control and had been great help for my mother, However she has had a cough at night for months and slowly it got worse almost like a chest infection symptom, After weeks of no sleep at night i found it is a side effect of Ramipril which is fairly common but after a swap to an alternative tablet (Candesarten) two weeks ago the cough has almost gone, I know this is an odd topic but lack of sleep was making the us all like zombies. In no way am i knocking Ramipril and i am sure for many it is a great drug.

arjay
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Ramipril cough

Post by arjay »

I had the same problem with Ramipril. I asked for a change, and they gave me another in the same 'family' of drugs; that was no better. i settled on Losartan and have had no cough in the several years since.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I think we went for Candesartan rather than Losartan as mother is on other tablets and the kidney function is important for her, At 85 she has had quite a few bad years of health and the NHS system has been very good, Sadly humans wear out and although we can get a few new parts it would be good if we could get restored completely.

TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

I've been on it a couple of years - no cough.
Good home offered for custom splittie
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Been on ramipril for 12 years. Had a dry cough until I banned plug-in air fresheners from the bedroom...
1956 4-door called Max
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

It is good to see other people having no problems with Ramipril, I did go through a process of removing anything that might have been causing the cough but hopefully now mother might get some sleep.

twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

Funnily enough, I've had this dry cough for months, and having checked what tablets I'm on, it turns out that they're Ramipril!

I gave up smoking in August and since then I've discovered I've got Type2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, & an underactive thyroid. In addition to this I've had constant colds since I stopped.

I'm due to go to my diabetic clinic in the next couple of weeks, so I'll mention the cough and see what happens.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

It is always worth a look into medication as breakthroughs in treatments can give you new options, The good news is you are getting treated for conditions and giving up smoking means you can spend the money you save on cars and bits... :D

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Maybe smoking is the treatment you're looking for! If all this has since started. :D

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Tell you what, after 40 years of pipe smoking,I gave up 3 years ago. Since then I've felt like sh*t. Never coughed before and rarely got colds. Purely coincidental of course and the boss approves of the fact that I don't stink of tobacco.
But I'd start again tomorrow in my ideal world.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I have never smoked but i have been told tobacco is not as good now as it used to be, I did have some senior service and wills cigarettes sealed in a box from maybe WW2, I gave them to a guy in his 80's and he smoked them and said they were very nostalgic.