Speeding offences just changed

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Speeding offences just changed

Post by firedrake1942 »

Yay freedom , palms still itch tho' whoever I am on the road, in a public place, overcome by waves of cannabis smoke from the oik in front if me, rapidly destroying the few brain cells they already had, on public transport by the behaviour of the lumpen cretins who spoil the world for the rest of us...... sorry pill time!
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

Nickol wrote:What I find impressive and noteworthy when I visit GB is the Attention given by many authorities to physical road safety. For example, at the start of populated Areas , and before the 30 ( = 48km/hr for me)warning sign. I see White (or sometimes) a red raised bitmac area in stripes to provide an early warning. Sometimes a sort of chicane is built in, or even a roundabout. These measures provide a natural Speed check.

In Holland, nearly every small town entrance also seems to have a different road surface, - any Thing to remind the Driver to reduce Speed.

Our local authorties, nearly always short of cash, just put up a 50 (km/hr)sign and by that consider they have done their duty on traffic safety. Periodically, Radar Speed traps lurk not far away to finance the sign post! You also have solid White lines , sometimes double for some reason to indicate no overtaking. We just have the normal sign which applies until cancelled which may be 10km or more later, by which time you have forgotton that it existed. The road marking is normally just the same as ever, dotted lines. In some places you might see a solid lne but that is just luck - in short , inconsistant.

No, I think you have good effective traffic Management. Perhaps here and there, some exceptions only.
There has been for many years a section of UK drivers here that have seriously envied the policy of much higher German autobahn speeds ( I believe it is now generally 150KM +93mph maximum) when before in certain areas it was without limit) as compared to the 70mph that is criticised by these same uk drivers as outdated due to the advance in design and safety of modern cars, particularly within the 'higher end' models.
It remains a debatable point if those uk drivers would be considered, in the majority, safe enough drivers if that was the case. From observing their behavior I am afraid (in particular tailgating, cutting in front of you,weaving in and out of lanes without signalling etc.)
Many, many of these uk drivers have driven around the 93mph here anyway regularly I am afraid it appears with no regard for the possible consequence of a summons.
When driving a few years back on visits to Germany I must admit I personally found the vast majority of German drivers generally drove 'rapidly' but seemed to actually handle speed more responsibly, respected following distances and had much greater awarenes of lane discipline than the average British driver using the same higher class model of car.
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

I used to like high powered cars but now I get the same kick driving a minor or a beetle at 60 mph...or the baby austin at 50. Talk about living on the edge..
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

[quoteThere has been for many years a section of UK drivers here that have seriously envied the policy of much higher German autobahn speeds ( I believe it is now generally 150KM +93mph maximum) when before in certain areas it was without limit) as compared to the 70mph that is criticised by these same uk drivers as outdated due to the advance in design and safety of modern cars, particularly within the 'higher end' models.
It remains a debatable point if those uk drivers would be considered, in the majority, safe enough drivers if that was the case. From observing their behavior I am afraid (in particular tailgating, cutting in front of you,weaving in and out of lanes without signalling etc.)
Many, many of these uk drivers have driven around the 93mph here anyway regularly I am afraid it appears with no regard for the possible consequence of a summons.
When driving a few years back on visits to Germany I must admit I personally found the vast majority of German drivers generally drove 'rapidly' but seemed to actually handle speed more responsibly, respected following distances and had much greater awarenes of lane discipline than the average British driver using the same higher class model of car
.][/quote]

Nearly right! There is still no upper Speed Limit in "Germany" but each Federal state in responsible for Autobahn maintenance and safety. That being the case, some states do put signed Speed Limits up everywhere but I have never seen a 150km/hr one. The recommended upper Limit is 130km, but it is only a recommendation.

Many many years ago when I was in England, a policeman friend in my athletic Club told me that he only stopped a Driver on the Motorway for doing over 80mph as the 70 Limit was considered unenforcable and unrealistic. Perhaps the ex officers here on the forum can confirm or not as the case may be?

You do see tailgating here also but not so common as in England. Firstly, we do not quite have the traffic density and when we do, it is moving at Walking pace - which is however quite often in particular Areas. Secondly, because of the no upper Limit, noone can cruise at say 120km/hr in the outside land ( most of our AB are only two lane) and console himself that nobody can overtake him anyway because they would be over the limit. The big Mercedes with its 300PS behind you will quite likely indicate his wrath. As a rule, you overtake and quickly move in again.

At night however, is another matter. Hardly any of the AB are lit, including the slip roads. (it is thus quite quite easy to mistakedly drive up the wrong lane in the dark, especially in the rain) There are also no cats eyes so it is very very dark sometimes. That does not stop the 250km/hr People. At night it is very difficult to judge how fast the upcoming car in your mirror is and moving into the fast lane just a few metres in front of such a beast is not a good idea.

I am a fan of engl Motorway layouts with their green and red reflective studs etc.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

Interesting that Germany does not have the traffic density as in (parts) of the UK. Unfortunately - in my opinion - much of Britain has been allowed to become horribly overpopulated and crowded, and our addiction to the infernal combustion engine has contributed much to the deterioration of our 'green and pleasant land'...... :(
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

I do like your signature line Nichol :lol: :lol:

Here in England I would suggest it could be adapted to read :-
Gott schutze mich vorm Sturm und Wind un einige der Idiot Treiber hier in England :evil:

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Ok put us out of our misery What does it mean? I can get the 'God preserve me from storm and wind' bits. Is the rest 'and an / all idiot driver (s) here in England' ???
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

firedrake1942 wrote:Ok put us out of our misery What does it mean? I can get the 'God preserve me from storm and wind' bits. Is the rest 'and an / all idiot driver (s) here in England' ???
Very Good - Intended translation (I hope reasonably correct Nickol??) "God protect me from storm and wind and some 'Idiot' drivers here in England"

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Yeah! :D The last time I spoke German was in Mettman in 1971 when I lived there. latin never lets you down tho'.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Good effort !

Gott schütze mich vorm Storm und Wind sowie einigen idiotischen Fahrern hier in England.

..doesn't rhyme very well though :(
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]