Free tools saved from the skip.

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
greendefender123
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Free tools saved from the skip.

Post by greendefender123 »

Anybody else get given tools cause you have cars? Iv got my grandads old set in a metal toolbox, I saved the tools from when my neighbour died a couple of years ago as his family were chucking it out. Just had a knock on the door and asked if I wanted this as it going down the tip if I don't. They come in handy with the moggie and my land rover.
20170511_152738.jpg
20170511_152738.jpg (367.36 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
20170511_152738.jpg
20170511_152738.jpg (367.36 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
Attachments
20170511_152805.jpg
20170511_152805.jpg (408.67 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Re: Free tools saved from the skip.

I can see why people chuck them now :lol: :lol: :lol:
20170511_155335.jpg
20170511_155335.jpg (434.63 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Like much in our consumerist society, throwing away good tools should be made a crime. Recycling should be the first port of call, but it is not made as easy as it should be. You look like you have a treasure trove there!
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

My brother-in-law let the scrapman clear his farmer dad's toolshed - I was gutted, thousands of items and an anvil. Got b* all for them. There was stuff from over 100 years in there.
Good home offered for custom splittie
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Yeah I done really well. Need to see what sizes I need and pass on lots of the doubles. My uncle hoards sockets and spanners. He said he's leaving them all to me. I'm not sure if that means he likes me or not lol. Agreed hate stuff being wasted but its getting to the point where iv got so much that I just don't use.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Car boot or auto jumble if you sort out the duplicates --- It could fund new bits for the traveller !!!
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

I recently rescued a load of older Whitworth/Imperial spanners from the scrappy near to where I work - they've already come in very useful for working on the Traveller, as I was getting a bit short on 7/16", etc., and now have at least two of the smaller sizes, plus some nice big 'uns... :)
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ianmack »

I'd be wary of parting with duplicates unless you are really stuck for space. As an example my usual whit ring spanners are too thick to fit the propshaft rear joint but I found an odd thin walled ring spanner in the bottom of the box which fits a treat. Goodness knows where it came from but worth keeping. The more spanners you have the better the chance of fitting in a difficult location. It is worth keeping an assortment of plug spanners too.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I have a little 'magic spanner' that will undo nuts where none of my others will fit! I don't know what size it is but is an old Ford one.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I saw a load of Super Slim type spanners in an antiques centre to day and they were a fiver each !!!! Well worth welcoming donations of tools if they are going to command prices like that !
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Yeah il have to see what sells on ebay. Iv got the 3 metal boxes iv been. Already filled up my big toolboxes before. Also got a big halfords set and a tool bad. That's just the car type tools without my electrical tools and grandads plumbing tools. He would of loved the morris iv got.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

A friend volunteers in a charity shop that sends containers of goods out to foreign countries. They were given an old mechanics tools and were skipping them because they didnt recognise the sizes as they werent metric! Thankfully they were saved and all those whitworths have come in very handy for my old Austin as well as the minor :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I love looking in skips, It really is sad what ends up getting thrown out as rubbish but i collect so many random types of stuff i have to be selective what i can keep. :oops:

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I bought my Morris before I'd passed my driving test and it turned out my instructor was quite keen on my choice. He donated several spanners, two or three grease guns, ramps and some consumables (polish, wire wool, etc) from clearing out his elderly father's garage. Great guy obviously and they've been really useful.

I think he wanted a ride if I did the advanced courses but alas, I moved 400 miles away!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I was given lots of small sized spanners by a neighbour who scrapped his Triumph Stag a few years ago and when my brother-in-laws aunt died I helped clear the house and garage and there were loads of tools in there and there was some really large sized spanners which came in handy when I replaced the engine on my MG as I needed one to remove a large bolt on the old engine.

greendefender123
Minor Addict

They scrapped a stag?
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

My neighbours Stag was forever breaking down and he was so glad to see it crushed.

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Wow id love a stag! Think id put a rover v8 in one. Should make it better especially as it's a lighter lump.
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

My dad did restore one for a friend 32 years ago as it came in as a part exchange at the garage he worked at he put new wings on it and the friend had the engine rebuilt as it kept boiling and then had the car resprayed. Most of the tools in our garage have come people who don't want them anymore.