Morris Minor Music

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Morris Minor Music

Post by SteveClem »

Piano stuff eh? Good job Liberace never knew about Minors, unless anyone knows differently?
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Paint job on a Minor Million may have suited him... but not enough room inside for the candelabras! :P
1956 4-door called Max
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Now,a 'million ' with candelabras on the outside...love to see one of them!
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

At the moment, my everyday Minor van has no headlining, carpet, or even baffles in the exhaust so way too noisy to think about having a radio in it, or even to think at all come to that! Prior to that, had radios, cd players etc in most of my Minors and tended to lean towards '80s rock ballads etc verging towards heavy rock when the mood takes, but must be mellowing these days as can be quite happy with 'folk rock', trad jazz and classical etc. Wide tastes or what! The modern(ish) Audi I had tended to be tuned into Classic FM as it suited the car and the refined driving experience. its Rover 25 replacement less so, but still calming on the daily commute....
Just been to see Fairport Convention on their 50th anniversary tour, so that CD seems to be a current fixture!
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

Al Stewart's early stuff - Bedsitter Images etc goes really well when driving a Minor. As my cynical kids observe, his rather nasal singing has a similar whine to the gearbox !
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Fairport and Al Stewart! Great taste. Have a listen to the latest Steeleye Span.... 'Dodgy Bastards'. They even do some rapping in a British regional accent.
Also recommend Harvey Andrews, a little known genius and a kind human being.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I was playing Al in the modern car today. Such inventive intelligent lyrics. Saw him in York this year (He's over 70) with the diminutive but hugely talented guitarist Dave Nachmanoff, who, for me, is the only one who comes close to Al Stewart's historical folk rock.

That said, the year after I bought my Minor and the last year at school, was when Supertramp's 'Breakfast In America' came out. I wore out that cassette tape and one of ELO's 'Out of the Blue' in the summer of 1979 driving Morris round the country lanes of Buckinghamshire...halcyon days!
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

For the last 45 years my most played has always been Hawkwind's Space Ritual. Guess I'm still an old hippy.
Good home offered for custom splittie
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Mine doesn't have a "Radio", though I will probably fit one. I still have the radio cassette, that was in my Scirocco Storm. It's one that you can remove easily when you leave the car. I've only ever bought two car radios; the Sharp one, with a removable front panel (In the Midget) and one of the Retro style MP3/radio things, that Moss sell (In the V8 - very compact). I have all sorts of music, from Bach to the Rolling Stones. I suppose my taste in cars is mirrored in my musical taste, so fizzles out at the end of the 1970s.

The cat, who has adopted us (Lives at my parents' house but I work in the shop at the front of their place), seems to like classical music (A vet tells us this is normal and that they play Classic FM in the room where they keep animals, who have to stay at the practice) and has consistently walked out when Black Sabbath is played (They came on the TV news and he walked out and then I showed my mother Black Sabbath on Youtube, as she had never seen them and if I hadn't clicked the X, he was about to walk out again). If you play a bit of Mozart for example, he will often roll over and really chill out. He has his cat box on my desk in the shop and he seems to know that music comes out of the computer. He will often get up on the desk and push his nose towards the monitor. If you then put on some music he will curl up in his box and go to sleep. If I have to go the workshop, I will often leave him with some music playing and he seems OK with that.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

A Cool Cat (Not in the Jazz sense)
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

[quote="firedrake1942"]I was playing Al in the modern car today. Such inventive intelligent lyrics. Saw him in York this year (He's over 70) with the diminutive but hugely talented guitarist Dave Nachmanoff, who, for me, is the only one who comes close to Al Stewart's historical folk.

Yes, saw them together in Nottingham a couple of years back. They were great. Have you seen the video of his 'Elvis' song? Very clever.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Came across an old LP called 'Morris On'. Worth a listen :-?
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

If it's this one, I have to watch some paint dry this weekend!
Attachments
71oNNxkYcjL._SL1000_.jpg
71oNNxkYcjL._SL1000_.jpg (189.92 KiB) Viewed 4336 times
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

That's it! Thought it was quite fun. :D
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Hmmm apart from the fact that the guy on the left looks like Al Stewart circa 1978, they resemble the Bonzo Dog Doodah Band!

It gets worse, there is more than one album

The "Morris On" series includes the following albums : Morris On (1972), Son Of Morris On (1976), Grandson Of Morris On (2002), Great Grandson Of Morris On (2004), Morris On The Road (2005)
Jackoblara

Post by Jackoblara »

sid wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:11 pm got a non-working cd player in my Herald at the moment,but no radio.used to be into metal,punk,prog rock..favourite music at the mo is techno dance stuff..scooter and the like go..much to the bewilderment of practically everyone who knows me! :lol:
lol :lol:
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

?
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Nearest to modern for me is Ozric Tentacles. Live at the Sunrise Festival and Erpland are superb.
Good home offered for custom splittie
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

? still, I'm afraid. (A quote from a moribund thread from two and a half years ago was resurrected with no comment other than an 'LOL' and smiley face by a new contributor.) Is it just me who is finding the world to be an increasingly bewildering place to hang out? :(
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

You're not on your own MM. Me too!

As my old dad used to say when he was well in his nineties '' The older I get, the less I understand'' That's increasingly how I feel these days...…..and don't get me going on MPs and Brexit!!!